PDA

View Full Version : How do U replace a stripped wheel lug

jigga225
11-12-2002, 12:06 PM
Man one of my lugs is stripped from the people at the tire place.
How do i replace just that one. IT's in the front . How much should one cost?

Thanks

idriveahonda
11-12-2002, 01:04 PM
use an extractor if u have one

Nospeed
11-12-2002, 01:29 PM
If the tire place that did your rims screwed it up, ask them to replace it.

smufguy
11-12-2002, 01:31 PM
yep ask the dude to replace it, they should cause its their fault.

89lxi95zx7
11-12-2002, 01:39 PM
THOSE FUCKERS!MY GIRLFRIENDS NEON HAD VOUCHER FOR FREE ROTATION W/ PURCHASE OF TIRES FROM SEARS.TOOK IT DOWN,THEY STRIPPED 2 LUGS ON EACH WHEEL.I WENT TO GET LUGS ON A SUNDAY,SCREWED AGAIN(DEALERSHP ONLY).
ON OUR CARS, I BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MACHINE SHOP PRESS THEM ON,I I'M WRONG ALOT.

3G Jester
11-12-2002, 02:52 PM
WRONG i went to western auto........i bought a new lug (the bolt i assume ) for 2 bucks and a new nut ( the nut that hold the wheel on the lugs.) they were like 15 bucks for a set of 4. so they all match on the wheeels i mean. THen u take of the wheel.....take off the cylander---just pull iutcomes rite off---its so siumple is hard to comrihend. then u take a hammer and bang out the old bolt...and put the new one back in. i bought extras just incase. their genaric 4x100 lugs. dont need to get bent over at a dealership

89lxi95zx7
11-12-2002, 03:03 PM
THEY WERE DEALERSHIP ONLY FOR NEON CAUSE IT WAS TOO NEW FOR PARTS STORES TO CARRY.NOT THE CASE FOR OUR OLD ASS CARS.

jigga225
11-12-2002, 03:22 PM
good lookin out.
thanks

RobT5580
11-12-2002, 04:56 PM
well when i had sears mount my Racing Harts the asshole cross threaded the locking lug. Brought it back for them to fix because if im correct you have to pull the hub out a bit to get the stud out. Thats when they scratched my rim and problems began and took 2 months to get them to replace it. The front studs are not as easy as the rear. The rear can be tapped out no problem and replaced easily but i almost possitive the hub has to be pulled out a little. Oh and the ripped my cv boot when pulling the hub out...

rocky2
11-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Most studs can be HAMMERED inward. Just takea hammer to it and knock it back into wheel. Just when your hammering it make sure theres room behind the hub so it will clear without hitting anything its a pressed fit . To install new one: put it into hole then put washers on outside and put lugnut on. then tighten up with a airgun till it draws itself into hub.

staticpat
11-12-2002, 11:33 PM
if it wont hammer through (mine didnt fit) just hacksaw it off. then on the new stud, just grind the head down some so it'll fit by the hub, and hammer it back in.

Caddy
11-13-2002, 11:56 PM
Ya, I had the same problem a few weeks when changing my pads. I did the exact same thing:
-Saw off the old lug.
-Grind of one side of the lug head and hammer it in (make sure theres enough give so that it doesn't damage the thread)
You might have to grind the hub a tiny bit but it wont hurt the car.