PDA

View Full Version : Need Help bad! Removing Speed Sensor

Jetdriver1975
11-12-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey All - need some expertise please.

I am in the process of removing my speed sensor, I got the hoses and the bolt off, but can't seem to pull it out of the tranny! Any one who knows how to do this please write back as soon as possible. Thanks!

YK86
11-12-2002, 07:57 PM
There's a horseshoe clip holding the cable into the assembly so you need to pull the boot up and remove the clip. The assembly itself is held in with one 10mm bolt.

Jetdriver1975
11-12-2002, 07:59 PM
I'm trying to take out the sensor - got the bolt off, but can't seem to pull it out - should it just slide out easily?

dosh8er
11-12-2002, 08:11 PM
Take what I'm about to say with great experience:

TAKE the whole speed sensor off the transmission!

It will save you heartache. (This is for all you people needing to drop trans for clutch).

There are TWO (2) bolts (i think they're 10mm) holding the speed sensor into the transmission (they are on opposite sides). Take em out... and that thing should come out farily easy.

If you take this sensor out of trans, there is no need to disconnect the hoses going into it (thus, no air in power steering lines that would be made if you took them off).

Trust me.

Oh, btw, DON'T break the metal forks on the speed sensor itself that hold the bolts, that's a bad deal.. I learned the hard way.

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 01:29 AM
here is a pic of where the speedo meter cable connects to the tranny !
and what do you mean by the metal forks ???

and can some one confirm that removing the whole assembly is better when dropping the tranny !

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/speedos.jpg

MIKE

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by YK86
so you need to pull the boot up and remove the clip. The assembly itself is held in with one 10mm bolt.

when i removed my boot ! i don't have any clip ! the cable car right off , maybe the fuckin mechanic lost it when he was doing the clutch job ! ever since my speedometer bounces !

hey YK86 ! or anybody can get me a pic of the clip so i can get a similar one ! :(

MIKE

AZmike
11-13-2002, 03:30 PM
My speed sensor was held on by one 10 mm bolt. I twisted is on it's axis to break it lose and then pulled straight up once I had it loose enough that I could twist it in the transmission.

Why are you removing all the hoses? Next time just leave everything reattached and save yourself an extra job.

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 04:04 PM
any one about the clip pic ?

MIKE

YK86
11-13-2002, 05:30 PM
I'll look for a pic of the clip but I do know they are shaped like an R (one side flat that goes into the groove and the other side goes around the outside of the shaft). I also checked my junk auto tranny lying out in the garage and for sure the sensor on that one and the 5 speed in the 86 are held by one 10mm bolt.

ACCORD EX
11-14-2002, 01:58 AM
thanx YK86 !
but in my pic there are 2 X 10 mm bolts !

MIKE

YK86
11-14-2002, 12:42 PM
The speed sensor upper half and lower half is held by two 10mm bolts while one fork on the side of the sensor holds it to the tranny. I'll get a pic while I'm looking at the clip.

ACCORD EX
11-14-2002, 04:56 PM
man you rock ! :super:

MIKE