PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 89 LX

ArmageddonX
11-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Hey all, I'm new to the whole "mod" community. I bought a 89 Accord LX 4-door (maroon) and really want to make it look better. I have some questions...

I'm looking into painting over the maroon color and making it a white or a black. How much money am I looking at to have the car painted well. I mean, not like $10,000 good, but a good long lasting paintjob would cost me what?

Also, for a white car what interior colors would be best? For black the same question... How much does a full interior re-do usually run money wise?

Do you guys recommend lowering? If so, how much should I lower it so that it will look good with 16 inch rims? What methods do you recommend?

I was referred to this forums because they said you guys were very helpfull. I'd appreciate any help/answers you could give me. My main goal it to make the car look like a car I (a 19 year old) would own. I don't like the "family car" image and really want to make the car look and sound cool. "speed" isn't an issue with me, I just want it to look and sound good. I do have a budget, which is why I am asking financial questions. =)

You guys obviously know what ur doing! So i figured you guys would know the answers to my questions!

Later all.....

PS. Any additional input or ideas would be appreciated!

Jims 86LXI HB
11-13-2002, 12:48 AM
Do you guys recommend lowering? If so, how much should I lower it so that it will look good with 16 inch rims? What methods do you recommend?

OH yes I sure do. But only if your prepaired to do it right. All lowering springs are stiffer and need struts that can handle that extra stiffness over stock spirngs. How low to go depend's on what your eye's tell you looks good. I'd recommend at least 1.5" as a starting point a nice setup would be
Neuspeed 1.5" drop springs from $130 www.nopionline.com
Front Koni struts for $212 from www.shox.com and rear tokico sturts for $110 also from shox.com Also nopi carries 2" drop springs by suspension techniques, those sell for $97

anchovies
11-13-2002, 12:48 AM
To look good, I guess lowering is a must. The lower the better :D. On a budget, and not performance oriented, probably you can get dropzone coilovers (so you can go real low).
For painting, the more expensive the work and paint, the better it looks.
Happy modding. Remember tasteful not tacky.

Neuspeed87lx
11-13-2002, 05:14 AM
if you plan on painting the outside of the car ...think if your gona want a spoiler or body kit on the car first ...so if you do you can have it all painted at once ..if the outside of the car was black i think the interior would look good in black and white..a black dash with white vents, white guages, and all the other things insdie white.....drop it about 2 1/2 inches..put the rims on ..paint the tails all red.. then you will be stylin :pimp:

ArmageddonX
11-13-2002, 07:18 AM
I would like a body kit... but where do I get one for a 3rd gen? Every place I go is like. "nope we don't have any"...

As for the interior do you think the stock maroon interior would match with a white/black exterior? The stock interior is in perfect condition and I don't really want to mess with it. Do you think the Maroon would be fine with white or black exterior?

Mike's89AccordLX
11-13-2002, 07:43 AM
I think black would look good, I have the same interior and mines in perfect shape too. I was thinking about painting my car black also.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
To look good, I guess lowering is a must. The lower the better :D. On a budget, and not performance oriented, probably you can get dropzone coilovers (so you can go real low).

Just to let you know, you don't want to do that. The drop zone coilovers are the stiffest coilovers you can get for our cars. Even Koni struts aren't going to have what it takes to use them. The have 450lbs front springs 350 rear, ground-controls are 340lbs front and 250lbs rear.

A better choice would be to call HP Racing and find out the spring rates for their 90-97 coilover kit's $139.66 www.nopionline.com
http://www.hpracing.com/
[email protected]
hurrican power inc,
1-800-522-7855

90-97 sleave coilover kits will work on our car, but no other part past 89 will work.

anchovies
11-13-2002, 02:44 PM
That's just an idea for a cheap suspension setup with the option to go real low for looks. Not performance/handling oriented. Bounce like crazy over bumps, even on highways. It's your own decision, but take into account what Jim said.

wckdonex
12-11-2002, 09:06 PM
some places can custom fit a body kit from the 90-93 accords. look there. and yes, lowering is always a good thing.