PDA

View Full Version : where to jack front end !

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 01:35 AM
i am finally finished with the clutch ! just have one question ! where do you guys put your jack stands while working under the car !
here is a pic and some parts are marked and numbered could you tell me which numbers ( spots ) or suggest another place !
( spots other that spots behind the front wheels !

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/jackstands.jpg

thanx

MIKE

Jims 86LXI HB
11-13-2002, 02:32 AM
I use 1 and 2 and I use the cross member under the engine.

anchovies
11-13-2002, 02:41 AM
The best is the jacking points just behind the wheels. If you're putting jack stands on either 1-4, just leave the jack on the center beam. That way, the jack stands are the "insurance".

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 03:18 AM
ok guys thanx !

i think 1 & 2 are best for a clutch job and i 'll leave the jack at the tow ring ( cross member )

MIKE

Neuspeed87lx
11-13-2002, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by anchovies
The best is the jacking points just behind the wheels. If you're putting jack stands on either 1-4, just leave the jack on the center beam. That way, the jack stands are the "insurance".

i do it the opposite way...put the car on the stands and use the jack as insurance ...if the car is on the jack itself and your working under the car ...like trying to get bolts off or something the car is gona shake around more than if it were on the stands

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 05:24 AM
thanx guys ! the clutch how to is coming to an end !

MIKE

Greg
11-13-2002, 08:53 AM
When I did the clutch on my girlfriend's 86 (seemed like it took forever because I would do it bit by bit over the course of a few weeks whenever I had a little time while it stayed in my old garage (I no longer have a garage so I can't work the same way)), I put the stands under 3 and 4 because I wanted to get the thing pretty high to get lots of room to work. I also put a set of stands for insurance underneath the rib that runs under the sub-floor -- toward the very front where it's double re-inforced.

The thing about her 86 is that it's pretty goddamn rusted out underneath, and so I couldn't put stand for insurance under where you're supposed to use a screw-jack to raise the car (where I put them on newer Hondas that aren't rusty -- sometimes).

But that front cross piece is very good for big stands, and feels solid.

If I was gonna do the job again, I'd put a pair under 1 & 2, and then put a pair under the sub-floor for extra safety.

I wouldn't use the jack for safety because it would get in the way on a clutch job.

If you got 2 pairs of stands, use the extra pair on a big job like this just in case. it takes like 1 more minute to position them, and I always feel less nervous when I'm getting those bolts on the back of the trans-axle off from underneath w/my whole body under the car.

A guy I worked with when I worked as a mechanic for almost a year told me a story about someone he knew getting killed when a car slipped while he was working on the brakes and the rotor going right through his head -- scary shit, huh?

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 09:00 AM
god man ! :barf:

MIKE

anchovies
11-13-2002, 02:22 PM
Faces of death...i still remember that guy trying to pull something under the car in the yard and bammm..then car came down chopped his leg in 2...yeeehaww

socal3rdgen
11-13-2002, 03:00 PM
that was some sick shit i seen that

88WhiteLX-i
11-13-2002, 03:51 PM
OH god I saw that faces of death too. That was some fucked up shit. THe mother fucker's leg was just hanging by some skin and blood was squirting out. The guy died a few days later too.

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 04:05 PM
guys guys guys ! can you stop that pleeeeeeease ! :barf:

MIKE