PDA

View Full Version : Problems with winter starting (2.0 carb...)

Euro2.0ex
11-13-2002, 11:16 AM
It's freezing over here and I'm having problems with starting my car. It starts fine first but when I leave it alone for a couple of hours after driving the thing doesn't like to start (well it starts finally but my girlfriend is also driving the car and she's killing me with her complains).

Where should I look? Could it be that there is moisture in the fuel tank or something?

By the way my lower balljoint snapped in two pieces the other day. Wasn't pretty. luckily I was driving slow.:sadwave:

There was this squeaking sound and I didn't care much about it. Well I should have repaired the thing right away.

mindlos
11-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Just a shot in the dark here. I'm assuming your car idles okay. Otherwise if you turn it off when RPMs are high (say above 1.5K) it tends to get flooded and diesels if hot enough. Its hard to start when flooded until all the gas evaporates and to remedy that you have to crank it with WOT. Basically press the gas all the way down and hold it there while cranking until it starts. The gas if not fed when cranking with WOT so that the excess gets sucked out while cranking.

Since it is cold there make sure you do not kill it while it doing high idle. Give it some gas to get it out of high idle then turn it off.

Another thing that happened to me is my fuel pump would intermittently go out and come back rather than die completely. I would go to the store and come back walking then hours later it would start. The next time it wouldnt start I checked the fuel line while cranking and there was no gas. I replaced the pump and all was fixed.

You could also check your coil, cap, rotor, plug wires, and plugs too.

I cant think of anything else.

ACCORD EX
11-13-2002, 03:57 PM
man your from finland ! now i know why the car doesn't start ! so freakin cold ! :D

MIKE

87accordlxph
11-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Put 5w30 oil in your car and it will crank a lot easier, faster and will warm up faster.
When you start the car let it warm up there, until the idle goes to normal RPMs.
The carb is old so give it time. Gas the car a few times until it starts to lower the rpms.

Yea, it sounds like your flooding the engine to me.
If ya do flood it (you small raw gas) give it 15 mins to settle then try again. I've done this before when I was in KY.

-Mike