PDA

View Full Version : painting wheels, maybe lug nuts

derolph
10-24-2013, 09:42 AM
I had been thinking for a few months about buying a set of alloy wheels for my 88 LX-i coupe but now I think I'm just going to cleanup and paint the OEM steel wheels and put them back on without the wheel covers. The OEM plastic wheel covers need painting, 3 of them have at least one crack somewhere and one of those three has a piece broke off the edge. Besides, they bore me, which is why I had been thinking of buying a whole new set of wheels. But, as practical matter, I think I should attend to some mechanical issues such as oil leaks and some brake work before spending money on major cosmetic aspects such as wheels and a full paint job.

I cleaned one wheel so far and painted it. Prepping the wheel took more time than typical due to rust. I used a dremel to grind off some rust. I had some Rustoleum high-temp paint so I used it. It painted well but the finish is a flat sheen, which is not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking I of a less-flat sheen, maybe not a high-gloss finish but at least something with less flatness than this. I suppose I could try putting some clearcoat over the Rustoleum; I guess that will change the sheen but I'm not sure whether clearcoat will work well with the Rustoleum.

Any suggestions on how to proceed and get a finish some shine to it? What sheen do some of you prefer on steelies? What paint would you use for wheels?

I was also thinking of painting the old chrome lug nuts black. Or, I could use some chrome polish and try restoring their chrome finish.

Dr_Snooz
10-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Hard to say really. Do you have any pics of the painted wheel?

derolph
10-28-2013, 06:35 PM
See the photo. I'll post another pic with the wheels on the car when done.

Dr_Snooz
10-29-2013, 06:55 PM
It looks like there's a fair amount of gloss to it, but maybe you want more punch. As long as the paint is fully cured, it shouldn't matter if you put a clearcoat over it. I've never had any spray paint last longer than a few years, so it won't matter what you do with it. You can't screw it up cause it's all going to be flaking off in a short time anyway. Maybe someone else can weigh in who's had better luck than me.

derolph
10-30-2013, 05:37 AM
I see I failed to fully explain the sequence of events. After using the paint that gave a flat sheen that I was not happy with, I bought a can of the same paint but semi-gloss and applied it to the second wheel and was pleased with it. Then, I re-painted the first wheel to give it a semi-gloss sheen. And, the picture I posted is one of the wheels with the semi-gloss paint. Again, I like the semi-gloss finish.

I've never had any spray paint last longer than a few years, so it won't matter what you do with it. You can't screw it up cause it's all going to be flaking off in a short time anyway.Yeah, I'm wondering how it will look a year from now. Time will tell.

niles
10-30-2013, 06:08 AM
That looks like a brand new wheel! I like it, can't wait to see what it looks like on the car. I don't think painiting the lugs will go too well, chrome is so smooth that the paint will probably chip as soon as you put a wrench on them. You could get some black aftermarket ones though.

derolph
11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
I finally got the right rear side molding installed yesterday so I'll post a couple of pics now. I bought black lug nuts and put them on.