PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket install...silicone only on corners?

1989accordaz
10-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Replacing the valve cover gasket. I am looking at the shop manual, and it says to apply liquid gasket only to 4 points. And that is on the corners where the valve cover gasket curves up around the crankshaft. Does that still apply or do you guys apply Liquid silicone to more than what the shop manual indicates?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jafir
10-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Just those four points. The reason is that it is almost impossible for a gasket to seal in a corner, so the rtv helps get the job done. Everywhere else, the rubber gasket works great. All you'll do is make a mess for the next time you do a valve adjustment if you use extra rtv.

1989accordaz
10-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks Jafir, I was about to make a mess of it by just following the RTV instructions. I appreciate it!

Hash_man_Se_i
10-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Yup. Just follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

1989accordaz
10-28-2013, 06:16 PM
This is the first time I use a Honda Gasket, what a difference. An after market ones always had the tendency to fall off the cover while turning the cover upside down to install it. The Honda one fit nice and snug, making the install a breeze. I also replace the 3 grommets on the valve cover, the were broken and oil leaked from them as well. We have a Honda dealer in town and the gasket was priced right at 10 dls and change.