PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace shocks...re-use springs?

1989accordaz
10-28-2013, 05:57 PM
I have the budget for new shocks but nor for springs. So here is the question, wait until I get new springs then replace shocks and springs or is it OK to just replace the shocks? Not sure how I would test the springs, to see whether they are good or not.

I guess I am just anxious to replace the shocks now because my car bounces like boobies on a trampoline.

Thanks in advance!

2oodoor
10-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Budget with acceptable results would be cutting the springs. Search ' cutting coil springs' and get an idea wbere you want to cut. You have to take the spring assembly off and apart anyways to replace shocks.

niles
10-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Springs don't really wear out, so the old ones can be reused. If you want to lower your car then follow 2oodoor's advice. New shocks will make the car ride like new again. Make sure to check all your suspension bushings while you are down there and replace any bad ones while replacing the shocks.

1989accordaz
10-30-2013, 06:28 PM
2oodoor, niles Thanks for the advice. I am getting a set of KYB Excel-G. And will reuse the springs and will replace all suspension bushings since I am at it.

Can't wait to get this car ride to normal.

niles
10-31-2013, 02:49 PM
It will feel like a flying carpet!

1989accordaz
12-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Quick question, just got a pair of front KYB shocks. Do I need a table vice ( in addition to the spring compressor ) to hold the spring while I compress it or can it be done without the vice? I suppose without it it will just take longer to compress it. Thanks in advance for the imput...can't wait to put this on...thanks pot ridden Tucson streets!

lostforawhile
12-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Springs don't really wear out, so the old ones can be reused. If you want to lower your car then follow 2oodoor's advice. New shocks will make the car ride like new again. Make sure to check all your suspension bushings while you are down there and replace any bad ones while replacing the shocks.
springs dont wear out? set a spring with 100,000 miles next to one thats new and compare, they have been compressed countless times at that point, all springs get weaker in time, Summit racing carries stock spring sets at a very reasonable price.

Dr_Snooz
12-13-2013, 09:05 PM
The bad part is that they settle at different rates so your car ends up sitting all wonky after 100k miles.

1989accordaz
12-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Decided to buy new springs as well, will buy either Moogs or KYB from Summit Racing...I will do the same for the rear as soon as the Budget allows it.

Phatman
12-16-2013, 02:26 AM
My front springs broke in three different places. Of course, this happened before I ever owned the car. I say replace the springs with the struts since you have to pull them anyways to change them. Just make sure the spring compressor will fit. The set I bought for Merle's were too think so I couldn't compress them worth a darn to get them off. Thankfully a friends neighbor had a set that worked.

Jedup
12-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Not a DIY job though, you require spring clamp to remove and to load the spring unto the replacement shocks

gp02a0083
12-17-2013, 09:45 AM
it depends on the type of spring compressor you are going to use and the spacing between coils to allow the tool to grab the spring. The big blocky type wont work well for the front springs. You can get new springs cheap from rockauto or any other source if you are still keeping stock height. While you are at it replace the strut tower bushings (moog kit is cheap and effective). the car will feel 100% better once your done compared to the tired worn out suspension

HelpMeHonda
12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
You should definitely replace the springs while you're there!

1989accordaz
12-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Will rent a spring compressor for this job.

Keeping stock height, so far I have all new shocks and springs. Will replace bushings as well and whatever else I that needs it. Control arms and ball joints are on my next budget.

There is a actually a vid on how to for a 3gee, this is why I thought I needed a table vice, it seems that it would be easier. Thank you all for the tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJe81iW0B-I

1989accordaz
12-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Well, none of the spring compressors that i can rent fit in between the front coils...so I am taking them to a shop so they can replace them...But as I find out it is a known fact around here. $20 each to have a shop replaced them.

Dr_Snooz
12-20-2013, 08:30 PM
I think the hillbilly way is to remove the upper retaining nut and then jack up the car.

Glad you got it fixed though.

1989accordaz
12-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Same here Dr, the install of the front shocks went pretty smooth, I can already tell the difference...here is the thing...I kept the old springs. For some reason my order for the springs was cancelled. So I re used the springs. I told the shop " if you think the springs are bad, don't do it" they called me and told me the springs were OK. So I gave them the OK to install them.

So I have two new front shocks and old springs. I can already tell the difference. Just waiting for the rear ones which hopefully will arrive early next week.

1989accordaz
12-22-2013, 07:41 AM
One thing when installing your front strut/shock is to align the mount base as shown on the shop manual ( USDM 19-19 ). The base should be offset by 10 degrees +- 5. This way when the strut is mounted to the damper fork, the damper fork holes will align to the ones on the control arm, and the mount base bolts to its mounting holes.

Haven't done the rear ones yet, they are on their way and should have them in the next couple of days. The offset for the mounting base is 35 degrees +- 3. For what I have read, a loaner spring compressor should fit the gap on the coils and I won't have to have a shop install them for me.

lostforawhile
12-22-2013, 10:16 AM
the problem is the narrow coils, strut compressor is for struts which are usually bigger, these are technically coilover shocks, they are a shock not a strut, double wishbone suspension not a simple strut suspension like a civic

lostforawhile
12-22-2013, 10:21 AM
I wonder if this would work on the rears,them being so small, they look just like motorcycle coilover shock Sealey Motorcycle Coil Over Spring Compressor VS1824 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealey-Motorcycle-Coil-Over-Spring-Compressor-VS1824-/120913021858)

1989accordaz
12-23-2013, 08:41 PM
For the rears, I am going to wait till I get them ( anytime FEDEX! ) and see if a loaner tool works. I see the gap on the rears being wider than the front. lostforawhile The ones on your link look interesting. But considering that this is pretty much a one time thing, I am giving the loaners a try.

1989accordaz
12-26-2013, 05:49 PM
I finally got the new rear shocks...took them to a shop to have them installed ( I removed the old shocks ) . Picked them up a couple of hours later.

Once I was almost done installing the first rear shock on the car I jacked the suspension up so I could torque the strut mount...and I noticed that the shaft of the strut moved up when I raised the suspension. So they must have forgotten to put something back in there that prevents the strut rod from traveling up...that kinda sucks.5789

1989accordaz
12-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Well after replacing all 4 shocks, and drive over some rough streets that used to make my car rattle like a Walmart shopping cart, I am happy with my choice of KYB.

I even for a couple of months, took an alternate route to work, one that was actually smooth. It was so bad, that I thought my car was going to fall apart.

Anyway, it was a good install, ( after they corrected the one they assembled wrong on the above pic ) I just removed the shocks off the vehicle and had them install the new ones. With the Holidays and all I couldn't afford to spend that much time on them. For 20 dls each, I was ok to contribute to a local business.

Just make sure if you are doing it yourself, or have a shop do it, to make sure the mount base bolts are align per the shop manual or at least oriented in the same way they come out. It will save you from headaches. Thanks all for your input.