PDA

View Full Version : finally the clutch how to !

ACCORD EX
11-14-2002, 02:48 AM
finally after over 2 week of working on it i wrote this how to with the help of a lot people who are mentioned in the how to !

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/clutchhowto.htm

i am posting that here so the expert people could review it and comment here ! any useful tips from self experience are welcomed .

enjoy !

MIKE

AZmike
11-14-2002, 08:37 AM
Why is the new shift rod pin necessary?

"1. 8mm > 22 mm sockets and wrenches"
the axle is 32 mm
I used 19, 17, 14, 12, 10 and maybe 13 sockets and 17, 14, 12, and 10 wrenches

"5. a small handy pump to pump in new tranny oil ."
A funnel with a hose works from above and is probably faster and cheaper

"NOTE: When removing the speedometer cable from the transmission, it is not necessary to remove the entire cable holder. Remove the end boot (gear holder seal), the cable retaining clip and then pull the cable out of the holder. In no way should you disturb the holder, unless it is absolutely necessary."

Why? I just pulled the holder and left the PS system and speedo cable alone. Is there a good reason not to do this?

List the spring washer that should be replaced in the required parts list too

Site
11-14-2002, 09:33 AM
"A funnel with a hose works from above and is probably faster and cheaper"
-Yeah, that's how I replace the transmission oil too. I bought a nice funnel with a hose attachment at Wal-Mart for $5. I use it a lot.

ACCORD EX
11-14-2002, 05:01 PM
i really appreciate these replies i'll add all the comments !

about the speedo holder thing i didn't write that but that's what written in the chilton's manual !
but i think removing the holder will be easier ! so i 'll retype it !

thanx guys !

MIKE

ACCORD EX
11-14-2002, 05:22 PM
what spring washer ! ?

MIKE

dosh8er
11-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Another option for adding tranny fluid: Your mom's turkey baster... (really cheap)

(let our minds not get perverse all just yet... :D)

Greg
11-15-2002, 08:29 AM
When I had to fill my tranny fluid, I was too lazy and cheap to go out to the store and get any of those things.

So I used my little oil-can -- you know, the oiler that you squeeze to put a little oil on parts.

I know, it's like the stupidest way to do it. It'll take you 1/2 hour.
But it gives your hand a good workout.

This is for those of you who have one of these and nothing else.

:flash:

ACCORD EX
11-16-2002, 03:14 AM
:lol ! man that's torchure ! :D

MIKE

ACCORD EX
11-16-2002, 03:15 AM
BTW what do you guy think of the how to ! ??? is good enough to be put in the How to ' section ! ???

MIKE

Site
11-16-2002, 06:33 AM
"BTW what do you guy think of the how to ! ??? is good enough to be put in the How to ' section ! ???"

-Absolutely! It's a definite improvement over what the manuals offer because it is more detailed, filled with recommendations from personal experience and it offers more pictures.

In my opinion, it belongs in the How-To section.

AZmike
11-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
what spring washer ! ?

MIKE

The one that your instructions recommend replacing on the bolt that holds the release fork in place.

I didn't follow the instructions and reused my old one because I didn't want to ride my bike 12 miles to get a $2 part that probably won't end up making a difference.

ACCORD EX
11-17-2002, 03:16 AM
yeah thanx Mike !
i 'll put it in the parts
and i know a lot of these stuff are not necessary but you don't want to drop the tranny again for 2 bux ! i 'll write beside it " recommended "

MIKE

ACCORD EX
11-17-2002, 03:28 AM
any other comments on the how to ! last call !

MIKE

Dutchboy
11-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Heres a question..

Why havent they made cv's easier to take out ...???????

i cant remember whcih car it was...i think a subaru but the one end bolted up to the tranny end cup...

so to remove all you needed to do was reomve the bolts and the .....

wait actually the older suubs have spring pins holding them on.....

It must be a cospiracy between all makers of cars to make them harder to remove so you break stuff and have to buy it from them...

just a thought...like why couldnt they make them bolt up to a plate were it enters the tranny...so then you wont have to drain the fluid and you can save like half the time on pulling the tranny out...

Ben:werd:

oldsub86
11-17-2002, 09:23 AM
A friend was telling me that he changed a clutch for one of his nieces last week. It was on a Civic but I assume it would be close enough to apply to an Accord. He did the transmission removal a little differently. He rigged up a bar over the engine from front to back to hold it in place from above and then used chains and a chain hoist from above to hold the transmission while he slid it over instead of supporting it with a jack from underneath. He said it worked well since he was doing this by himself. It gave him more room to work underneath and supported the transmission well when he was reinstalling it.

Randy

Greg
11-17-2002, 09:15 PM
I actually used ropes to keep my trans up while I maneuvered it into place. I had the thing on a phone book on my jack, but I didn't really have help, and so this wasn't enough.

The goddamn trans on 3g's really won't balance well on a flat surface (like on a book on top of a jack).

So I rigged ropes to it -- just cheapo nylon rope that's like 1/4" thick about -- and tied them to various things on the car. I roped one underneath, tied to around where the hood-latch is, under the trans, and then roped it around the right-side mirror. Then I roped another one underneath and rigged it to the left-side mirror.

Oh, actually, I think I put the rope through some of the bolt-holes on the top of the trans-axle.

But I basically would pull up a little bit on one rope to get one side higher, then tie it off, then maneuver the jack to pick it up a little bit, then pull up the other side w/other rope...

I did this for maybe 1/2 hour of getting the thing propped w/ropes & jack so it was as close as possible to being perfectly lined up, and then I pushed it into place from underneath on my creaper.

The ropes helped A LOT! They helped me keep it steady and balanced, and also provided insurance so it wouldn't fall off the jack and crush me!

And I just roped it to stuff on the car itself -- didn't need hoist or anything like that.

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-17-2002, 11:05 PM
Excellent job, Mike! I'll definitely be using this when/if my clutch ever decides to die, heh

:)

ACCORD EX
11-18-2002, 03:07 AM
oldsub86 : i understand your idea of using a hoist ! but how many of us really have a hoist and a chain ! and as you can see i made this how to for all people not for pro's only !

Jareds 89 LX-i : thanx !

anyway i am putting it in the how to and i can add anything later if anybody has a problem following it !

MIKE

Grant2k
11-18-2002, 09:40 AM
Mike, exellent job. I am gonne be reffering to this a lot this coming winter. although, as good a job as you did, i still do not look foward to doing it.

ACCORD EX
11-19-2002, 04:05 AM
:D no body looks forward for a clutch job ! so expensive parts ! :(

MIKE