PDA

View Full Version : what your favorite battery and size for 89 lxi?

rebuild
10-30-2013, 03:52 PM
am battery shopping. anyone have their favorites for this car? thanks

Gt-r
10-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I myself preferring running a couple of AAA's to run my LX-I.

But I have right now a walmart battery.

charliekuney
10-31-2013, 01:44 PM
I have purchased standard Honda batteries, but they never seem to last. The Optima Red / Yellow Top is a great battery.

niles
10-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Deff get a deep cycle Optima battery if you have a loud soundsystem. I have had an Autozone Gold battery for a few years now and am pretty happy with it.

firefighterwhite89
11-02-2013, 10:31 PM
I use batteries around 750CCA...alot overkill, but useful

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Oldblueaccord
11-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Optima yellow top i have bought 4 in the last 10 ten years.

My first one failed after 9 years in my ih scout.but it sits months at a time,and i run headers,which is why i bought it for. Standard batteries last 3 years or less in that application.

niles
11-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Is it heat from the headers that shorten your battery life, Oldblue?

Hauntd ca3
11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
any flooded style of battery, the average life span is bout 3 years under normal conditions.
as for size, i always go for the biggest that will fit in the tray and not foul on the bonnet.
bout 450-500cca is good

obd0driver
11-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm running a Odyssey Battery works fine for me and helps clean up the bay a little bit

Oldblueaccord
11-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Is it heat from the headers that shorten your battery life, Oldblue?

Yeah the underhood heat really just boils the water out of them if i dont keep adding to it. The first one the sides swelled out and it cracked. Its a 440 i swaped in years ago. I tried getting manifolds to fit but its too much work.

The only wierd thing on that Optima was it would read 12.8 volts even with the head lights on. It just would barely start the truck. I didnt realize that under starter load the volts would fall to 3 hence the amp draw was huge.

dieselgus
11-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I run a group 78 sized Delco AGM in my car. Fits nicely, and nowhere near the issues that any of the optima have (I have replaced a lot of Optima batteries over the years too.) No water to boil out, and more than enough CCA for the car.

niles
11-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Wow, good to know I am getting my headers coated then... maybe I will even add some extra heat sheilding to parts under the hood while I'm at it.

rebuild
11-06-2013, 07:13 PM
I run a group 78 sized Delco AGM in my car. Fits nicely, and nowhere near the issues that any of the optima have (I have replaced a lot of Optima batteries over the years too.) No water to boil out, and more than enough CCA for the car.

where can you get it / how much? sam's club? how long does it last?

rebuild
11-06-2013, 07:20 PM
what's 'foul on the bonnet'? i have an air induction system on mine and the air filter gets a lot of crud on it, but i attributed that only to a leaking proportioning valve and road dirt. thanks

rebuild
11-06-2013, 07:27 PM
i've gone through a lot of walmart batteries within their warranty periods, so free batteries till now. i have noticed they get low on water. guess driving a lot decreases their life - have about 588k

rebuild
11-06-2013, 07:30 PM
I myself preferring running a couple of AAA's to run my LX-I.

But I have right now a walmart battery.

get it tested before the warranty expires

Oldblueaccord
11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah the underhood heat really just boils the water out of them if i dont keep adding to it. The first one the sides swelled out and it cracked. Its a 440 i swaped in years ago. I tried getting manifolds to fit but its too much work.

The only wierd thing on that Optima was it would read 12.8 volts even with the head lights on. It just would barely start the truck. I didnt realize that under starter load the volts would fall to 3 hence the amp draw was huge.

Just to be clear i,m PRO Optima battery.

Water loss i was refering to was with conventonial batteries. Optimas dont have water.

If a normal battery last 3 years and an Optima last 9. Ill take the 9.

Jafir
11-07-2013, 04:22 PM
what's 'foul on the bonnet'?

"Bonnet" is the hood is places like England, Australia, etc. The "hood" in England could refer to the soft top covering the back of a land rover.

derolph
11-10-2013, 12:59 PM
AutoCraft, from Advance Auto Parts. Group size 26, 525 CCA. Warranty: 24 mo. free replacement, 72 mo. prorated.

Strangeduck
11-24-2013, 10:53 AM
I know this is a bit old, but not real old so i just thought i would say a "group 34" battery will fit under the hood of these cars.
I prefer an AGM battery, but not a yellow or red top. I like the Deka intimidator or sears sells a re-branded deka or you can get one off of remy battery's web site.

Of course, you could go nuts and get an XS brand,they are amazing but expensive.

Jafir
11-24-2013, 11:07 AM
The sears agm batteries (diehard platinum) are made by enersys, and are nearly identical to their odyssey batteries, only they seem to have a slightly better warranty at 100 months.

2drSE-i
11-24-2013, 11:30 AM
I worked at a battery store for close to two years. Heres what I can say.

AGM batteries are the way to go. Higher vibration resistance, lower self discharge, immense start/stop capability, cold/heat resistant, higher CCA's and reserve capacity, etc etc etc. That being said, Optima is crap anymore. Odyssey is good, but overpriced. Northstar makes the best batteries in the world, but they are pretty expensive as well. Just pick a good, American made brand (Deka, East Penn, Duracell Procell Platinum) and stick with it. Johnson Controls is crap (Walmart, Advance Auto, Autozone, Etc etc). O'reilleys and Batteries Plus sell great batteries.