PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord lx-i 4 dr

Immeraufdemhund
11-14-2002, 02:44 PM
i was looking at this car today, and took it for a spin. The asking price for it is $1,899. I got in the car and started it up after adding some water to the rad, (it has a small leak at the top and needs to be replaced). It started up great and went to 2k and stayed their, high idle..nice. After a couple of minutes of just checking things out, smoke, smells dings..etc. i went back in the car and taped on the gas pedal to knock off the stupid 2k. It started fluctuating from 2k down to 1.25k. Well i figured i would just put up with it during the road test. So i got out to the edge of the road and the fluctuating was messing with my driving ability (driving with out pushing the gas). I rev the car a little bit just like my 87 hb and i sqeeled the tires...odd if you ask me it was too easy. So i get out and drive around not a problem in the world. I went to a parking lot drove in 2 circles a couple of times, tested the brakes. Clutch is tight. Overal i really like the car. I did notice that the heat guage is not moving at all though, which is a problem. I went back and talked to the guy and he said that he knew about the radiator (I didn't tell him anything that I found yet) and that he would take off $200 for it. So that's 1700. Now my questoin is, with what i've described is the car worth it? and what could be wrong with it so that i can use that to see if i can bargen some more. It is really nice. It has a big-o muffler on the back that sounds great, quiet and deep!, it has those rims with the squigly A on it. (yah, i dont know brand names..sorry) and used to have a system in it, but of course they took it out. It has 160K miles. One last thing it seems as if water is getting into the trunk and stinking up the car... is that a big problem? any suggestions would be appreciated.

anchovies
11-14-2002, 03:32 PM
The cooling problem might have fried the engine if the driver had driven it overheated. So to be safe, you need to spend more $$ to check the head. If not, then it's your choice.