PDA

View Full Version : Best Ground For AMP??

Jdub07
05-14-2002, 01:00 PM
If the amp is installed on the back of the back seat like many of you have...where is the best place to ground it??? And does a longer ground wire effect the performance of the amp such as longer speaker wires effect the performance of the speaker?

TeKKnoTeKK
05-14-2002, 01:45 PM
well I mounted my amp ground on one of the bolts holding in the stock speakers, just make sure to scrape away the paint under the bolt. And yes you do want the shortest ground possible, also make sure that your ground wire is the same guage as your power wire.

Jdub07
05-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by TeKKnoTeKK
well I mounted my amp ground on one of the bolts holding in the stock speakers, just make sure to scrape away the paint under the bolt. And yes you do want the shortest ground possible, also make sure that your ground wire is the same guage as your power wire.

Thank you sir! I will give it a shot. As of now my subs are not working properly and I feel it is due to my ground wire. It is grounded to the bowl like area where my spare tire used to be. I did scrape away the paint until the metal was explosed yet it may not be connected to the frame. Could this be causing my subs to not play sound correctly?

TeKKnoTeKK
05-14-2002, 02:14 PM
you will need to elaborate a bit on your description bud :D

Jdub07
05-14-2002, 02:46 PM
you will need to elaborate a bit on your description bud :D

I guess what I am wondering is if the spare tire area (bowl like area in the the hatchback where the spare goes) is connected strait to the frame for a good ground. I know I sound like a dunce yet I scratched the paint in that area and metal was exposed yet I don't think It is working right as a ground,...does that make and more sence or am I just being more confusing?

TeKKnoTeKK
05-14-2002, 02:59 PM
Oh...that should work ok as a ground I would think....I was just wanting a better description on how your speakers "weren't playing sound correctly"

Jdub07
05-14-2002, 03:07 PM
Oh...that should work ok as a ground I would think....I was just wanting a better description on how your speakers "weren't playing sound correctly"

Oh...well,.................there is no sound. :( I have checked double checked and tripple checked all connections and well there just isn't any sound coming out of the subs. All speakers in the car work the amp powers up when the radio is turned on....I know the subs work without the amp and the rca cable are hooked up right..........so I thought maybe I didn't have a good enough ground because I hear about that being a problem all the time.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-14-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jdub07

Oh...well,.................there is no sound. :( I have checked double checked and tripple checked all connections and well there just isn't any sound coming out of the subs. All speakers in the car work the amp powers up when the radio is turned on....I know the subs work without the amp and the rca cable are hooked up right..........so I thought maybe I didn't have a good enough ground because I hear about that being a problem all the time.

no sound at all? If you didn't have a good ground the amp either wouldn't turn on, or you would atleast get some sound from the subs. Sounds like a bad amp to me, what kind of amp and has it ever worked?

Jdub07
05-14-2002, 03:47 PM

no sound at all? If you didn't have a good ground the amp either wouldn't turn on, or you would atleast get some sound from the subs. Sounds like a bad amp to me, what kind of amp and has it ever worked?

Well...you said just what I was thinking deep in the back of my mind...its a new amp so I can bring it back and nope...it has never worked! I think you may be right...its a shit amp. SHIT!

TeKKnoTeKK
05-14-2002, 04:05 PM
what kinda amp man....is it new or refurbished? Is this a 4 channel or 2 channel amp?

Jdub07
05-15-2002, 08:56 AM
what kinda amp man....is it new or refurbished? Is this a 4 channel or 2 channel amp?

Its a new 2 channel piece of shit "BEAT" amp.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Oh....cuz I was gonna say if it is a 4 channel you could have it hooked up wrong but 2 channel is pretty straight forward. Did you make sure the gain was turned up?

Jdub07
05-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Oh....cuz I was gonna say if it is a 4 channel you could have it hooked up wrong but 2 channel is pretty straight forward. Did you make sure the gain was turned up?

The gain was in the middle...I had all the setting to the middle..I did try turning them up with no avail!

TeKKnoTeKK
05-15-2002, 03:04 PM
Unfortunetly you could have a bad amp there bud....one last thing you could try is getting a mutimeter and checking the current coming out of the amp if any.

Jdub07
05-15-2002, 03:14 PM
Unfortunetly you could have a bad amp there bud....one last thing you could try is getting a mutimeter and checking the current coming out of the amp if any.

Good idea...would a Fluke meater work or is that the same thing. And where would I put the fluke wires to test it. I know the amp powers up because the light comes on but like you said if there is current coming out of the amp. Would I test it at the speaker terminals on the amp itself? Could it be lame rca cables...wouldn't that make SOME noise....sorry dude I feel like a fool.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-15-2002, 03:47 PM
well you mentioned it is a new amp....I would take it back to the store you bough it and have them hook it up. If it's bad they will give you a new one, if the amp is still under warranty I would just take it to where you bought it (unless it was online of course) and let them deal with it. It would be much easier that way.

Jdub07
05-15-2002, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the advise,...I think I'll just take it back its not worth the hasle of me trying to figure out whats wrong when I know it isn't working right.

Jerren
05-23-2002, 04:05 PM
your amp isn't bolted down on any thing metal is it? that sometimes may cause a problem.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-23-2002, 04:09 PM
What did you ever end up doing with it Jdub? I am curios.

Jdub07
05-24-2002, 07:57 AM
Man I am having the worst time with my set up. First my amp was shit then my cd player started to frits. I took your advise and bought a cleaner disk put it in my cd player and WAHLA works again!! So thanks for the advise. With the amp....I can't take it back because they don't know if I messed it up or if it was a defect, long story on that but in short I got screwed on my amp, now I have two 12"s and my front polk door speakers with NO power other than the head unit. No cash at the moment just purchased pacesetter headers.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-24-2002, 09:20 AM
Yeah that is the only downfall of installing the amp yourself, most places won't warranty it because of that exact reason. Sorry bout that bro, it is usually worth paying extra for them to install it. Goodluck.

Jdub07
05-24-2002, 09:38 AM
Yeah that is the only downfall of installing the amp yourself, most places won't warranty it because of that exact reason. Sorry bout that bro, it is usually worth paying extra for them to install it. Goodluck.

Thanks...i'm sure something will work out. I'm not into compatition or anything i'll end up getting something that is average and can power the 12"s. Pretty much anything in a small hatchback sound good.

88ebrake
05-11-2004, 08:39 AM
are ur speakers dual voice coil and have two set of post

BDaccordguy
05-11-2004, 09:21 AM
hey man, if you are willing to try one more ground spot to see if it works, try one of the bolts on the rear strut tower. thats where i have mine grounded and it works fine. i have always had trouble with grounding to the rear speaker bolts because the thumping will rattle the bolts loose, and i had a hard time getting a good connection.

Bloodlust
05-11-2004, 09:53 AM
I would have to say the best ground would be to scrape the paint and primer off of a spot in ur trunk, and then bolt it down with a banana ring (or whatever its called) and make sure its really tight.

Vanilla Sky
05-11-2004, 10:14 AM
did anybody else notice that this thread is almost 2 years old??

DanLXI88
05-11-2004, 10:26 AM
:lol: Well I wonder if he got it hooked up yet ?

Vanilla Sky
05-11-2004, 10:37 AM
yup, and he's gotten rid of that car since, too

Bloodlust
05-11-2004, 11:03 AM

Holy shait I didnt even notice that. Thanks to 88ebrake for kicking up a very old thread. :lock:

Vanilla Sky
05-11-2004, 11:05 AM
like i said in another post... don't expect much, he's from the 'nooga

fuzzy audio
05-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Lmao!!!

Well I just hooked up my first sub. Using one my rear tail light mounts as my ground. So far it seems to work.

AccordEpicenter
05-13-2004, 09:07 AM
thats an iffy ground and i dont reccomend it. If i were you the best ground is the rear shock tower nut, just loosen it and put a ring terminal around it

88ebrake
05-13-2004, 09:47 AM
epicenter is right thats what i use or u can use the trunk latch it works fine

PortugalFocus
05-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Lmao!!!

Well I just hooked up my first sub. Using one my rear tail light mounts as my ground. So far it seems to work.

:uh: please don't do that. just find a spot in the trunk spare well and tap a hole there and crimp a ring connector on the ground's end and bolt it down. Never ground anything to anyother thing that is built into the car's electrical unless you are 100% sure it won't cause a short or even worse a fire.

If you don't have a large ground wire you can also find a spot between the spare and the back of the seat. Yank up a small area of carpet and do the same (tap ring, and bolt).