PDA

View Full Version : Leaky trunks

Y3G
11-14-2002, 03:21 PM
Does any one else have problems with there trunk leaking?
I thought i had it fixed but yesterday I opened up the trunk and there was about 3" of standing water in my spare tire well. I tried silicone in behind the tail lights& around the tail light gaskets but it still gets in?:sadwave:

anchovies
11-14-2002, 03:28 PM
I think there's a drain hole under the spare. But, that doesn't solve your water problem :D

enkeisroller
11-14-2002, 04:21 PM
Alright, these 3rd generations have a very shitty design for the trunks. It usually leaks one 3 common places.

1. The taillight which you say you already tried, but dont always eliminate it.
2. Where the weather stripping seal going on the trunk. Like on the spot where the trunk lid sets on near the top, the lip that the rubber seal goes on, rusts away, leaving a whole right under the seal for water to get into your trunk. Its hard to explain where it is, but. its on the sides of the car, like above the gas door on both sides or so.
Last where the two pieces of metal join on the very bottom of the trunk next to the latch. The rubber seal also covers this area. That will rust out also, allowing water to flow directly into the vehicle.

Let me know what you find out

Coitis1
11-14-2002, 04:58 PM
i have a leaky trunk too. its not as bad as yours, but after a good rain my carpet is usually soaked.

Immeraufdemhund
11-15-2002, 06:19 AM
i don't have tha tproblem in my HB. but i was looking at a sedan and a coupe it has those little leaks. One seemed like it had a whole on top of the trunk, but looking at the trunk nothing. I'm also curious as to how to fix that. I'll check my cars for the 3 things you said. till then fabreeze rocks.

dosh8er
11-15-2002, 11:02 AM
i have a friend with a POS GM car.. he had an accident and bent the back end of his trunk (hard to explain). Now the seal doesn't close right, and he has a rusty spare compartment (w/ a rusty jack and no drain plug.. stupid GM).

I think it's that big seal that goes around the entire trunk.. It's not uncommon on cars w/ trunks.. If the seal goes bad, or trunk (boot) gets bent/warped, voila!

If you ever wash your car, look at how much water the recess where that seal is at. Logically, when it rains, it just collects and leaks in. Spray it down w/ a garden hose, collapse the back seat, crawl in w/ a flashlight and watch.

quagmire
11-15-2002, 11:14 AM
I've found rust spots on my trunk carpet after several days of hard rain. Its not soaked, and I cant find any leaks. Meh...

1988starter
11-15-2002, 11:28 AM
my sister had leaks oin her prelude the lights would fill up then leak into thye trunk I fixed it by drilling a few drail holes then covering them with paint so they would not rust.

89accordboi
11-18-2002, 05:27 PM
im just afraid taht the water might be getting in the roof of the car and rotting the roof :\ it better be only standing in the sunroof!

incane
11-18-2002, 09:45 PM
Pull the sides and carpet back in the trunk. Climb in the trunk with a flashlight. Have a friend poor water in small sections of the trunk area, keeping in mind where the water is poured. You should be able to pin point the leak. Hope this helps.