PDA

View Full Version : My 85 Hatchback engine rebuild

JKP
11-06-2013, 06:45 PM
My 85 that I bought used in 88 finally blew a head gasket and conked out at 340K miles .... instead of just fixing the head gasket, I decided to give it a new engine. I got the rebuilt long block from JIS in Arlington TX for only $850 incl shipping, no core turn in. Thought that was a good deal, now I'm tearing down the old engine and transferring all the accessories and parts over to the new engine, ...and replacing a few things while I'm at it. I broke the thermovalve that controls the EGR system ... mounts on the coolant thermostat housing. And also the EGR Pipe broke ... this is the pipe that runs from the exhaust manifiold to the intake manifold. Anyone know where I can get these parts ? ...other than a junkyard. I'm looking in general for the best source for these old parts.
Thanks much !

2ndGenGuy
11-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Pics! :d

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2013, 05:56 PM
So stoked that you are fixing the car up right! I can't help you with the parts, but if you end up finding a source, let us know.

kendellmr
11-09-2013, 03:40 PM
How did you get this engine for $850 with shipping and no core. If I could get one for that money I would be all over it. Please let me know.

huntz0r
12-22-2013, 10:50 AM
You could always go Weber and delete all that vacuum-operated junk.

I know, extra cost... I cringed at the cost too when I did it, but it was so worthwhile. Plus it should give the car a bump up to almost triple-digit horsepower, lol.