PDA

View Full Version : more info on swapping a A20A1 (carb.) to a B20A import

blackacidream
11-14-2002, 07:28 PM
i'm an owner of a 1987 accord DX, and a freind at work as offerd to sell me a japanese B20A engine. besides the info already posted, what i need to know is A: as indicated on the first thread, i need a tranny mount, does this mean welding a new mount? B: this B20A had a automatic tranny on it, how would i convert it to a 5 speed manual, and C: are there any other parts i need to buy for the swap besides the ECU, wire harness, tranny, ect. the engine is a B20A this guy got off E bay from japan. its got a gold valve cover, and just about everything still hooked up to it besides the ECU and tranni

YK86
11-15-2002, 02:14 AM
a)there's a OEM rear mount needed to make it fit. Openloop cut and welded the one from the A20 (I think) to make it fit.

b)Converting the engine to 5 speed isn't a big deal. You need the flywheel, 5 speed tranny, clutch assembly, flywheel bolts (they are longer than the driveplate bolts) and the proper 5 speed ECU (you might be able to get away with using the auto ECU like the A20 but not sure). BUT finding a 5 speed is very tough.

c)You don't need the JDM harness. It's almost better to use the A20 harness and add the neccessary wires. You will also need an external ignitor and harness from a 3rd gen Prelude.

I also notice you will need to convert your car to EFI if you want to keep the B20A EFI.

shepherd79
11-15-2002, 05:17 AM
ok he can do what aerodeckUK is doing, making his B20 carbed.

toastyghost
11-15-2002, 07:15 AM
Or get the EFI fuel tank/pump/lines. They sell that shit on eBay. I never thought about it but maybe a B20A would be easier to find using ebay.co.jp !!

blackacidream
11-15-2002, 07:35 AM
hey thanx for the quick response, i think i am going to end up buying it. the guy i'm getting it from got it off E bay actually, the reason why he's selling it is because he got burned. the person that sold it to him told him that it was a B20A5, and the reason why it looked so different from his engine was becuase it was an import, he didnt figure out that it was the wrong engine until he had gutted the front end of his prelude. i feel kinda bad for him, but his asking price for the engine is 300$, complete with intake/exhause\t manifolds, power stearing pump/water pump, alternator, EFI, distributor, fuel pump, and just about everything else except the tranny and ECU, it came with the tranny, but its auto, so i dont really want it anyway.

2old_honda
11-20-2002, 08:05 PM
thats a good deal! if you dont buy it give me the guys info and I will buy it!

merlindavis
11-21-2002, 05:03 AM
so, wait a minute... the dude who originally got the engine thought it was a b20a5, when in reality it was a b20a, yet looked very different from the engine he had in what i'm going to assume is a 3g lude? the jdm b20a (the import) for a 3g lude is a direct drop in replacement... the jdm b20a for the 2g lude is quite different and won't fit in a 3g lude engine bay withought some modification... jdm b20a from a 2g lude should be fairly easy to put in a 3g accord... also, the b20a from a 2g lude has 160ps in EFI trim, why in the world would you want to convert it to carb?

RCracer
11-21-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by merlindavis
... also, the b20a from a 2g lude has 160ps in EFI trim, why in the world would you want to convert it to carb?

My B20a was EFI but I have a few reasons for running it on a carb.
My reasons for running a B20a on a carb are:-

1/ My car is carbed and have no interest in converting to EFI.

I was brought up with carbs and am going to run either a weber 32/36 or 38/38 just depends what turns up.
I dont have any doubts as to if it will still have 160bhp with the right carb/carb's.

2/ My car is my daily driver and cant be out of service for long.

I tightened the last bolt on the engine today so the B20a is finally ready for going in.

merlindavis
11-22-2002, 09:21 AM
ahhh.... okey dokey then... i wasn't exactly sure what your thing was... i was hoping that your car wasn't fi to start and then you were going back to carb... i have no problem with carbs, my opel gt is carb'ed, although it died because the guy who put the weber on didn't know squat and it was running like crap...