PDA

View Full Version : squeaky belts

GDGuy11B
11-15-2002, 05:23 AM
It's started to get really cold here...dont think i dont know what cold is just because i live in florida...i used to live in north carolina...it got cold there too. anyways, recently my belts squeak whenever i start my car, so i rev it up some then it'll stop...its so loud and obnoxious! i know the problem i have is "squeaky belts", but what i want to know is why this is happening...

Micah

shepherd79
11-15-2002, 05:26 AM
easy,
elementary phisics= when object is hot it is smaller, when it is cold it is expanding and becomes bigger.

ACCORD EX
11-15-2002, 06:35 AM
solution ! ? ;)

MIKE

mzabeefy
11-15-2002, 12:31 PM
easy,
elementary phisics= when object is hot it is smaller, when it is cold it is expanding and becomes bigger.

isn't it the opposite ?

anchovies
11-15-2002, 06:37 PM
elementary physics.. :D
Loosen the belt abit.

ACCORD EX
11-16-2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
easy,

man you need some studying to do ! :D ;)

MIKE

AZmike
11-16-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by GDGuy11B
It's started to get really cold here...dont think i dont know what cold is just because i live in florida...i used to live in north carolina...it got cold there too. anyways, recently my belts squeak whenever i start my car, so i rev it up some then it'll stop...its so loud and obnoxious! i know the problem i have is "squeaky belts", but what i want to know is why this is happening...

Micah

Check your alternator belt tension. You'll probably find it's a bit too loose. Tighten the tensioning nut a little and you should be fine.

P.S. increased temp --> increased size...unless you're freezing water, that's different.

shepherd79
11-16-2002, 07:47 PM
mike,
what do you mean i need some study to do?
explain to me why it squeaks when it is cold but when it is hot it is not?
i would like to hear a good reason.

AZmike
11-17-2002, 01:35 AM
When it's cold the belt material is less flexible, less grippy, etc. A little more tension will make it grip the pulleys better...unless it's already way too tight. I've never had one like that so I'm not sure if they make a noise or not.

mindlos
11-17-2002, 01:37 AM
Cold rubber has a much lower frictional coefficient (Kf) and is harder than wam/hot rubber. Low Kf means slippage and high Kf means traction. During slippage heat is produced by the abrasion that warms the rubber, making it softer, increasing Kf, and thus improving traction with the wheel/pulley. As a result the belt stops squeaking.

Think about how those f1/cart/nascar drivers warm up their tires in zigzags so they can get better traction.

Just to reiterate, tighten that belt because it will get glazed by the high heat produced during slippage (thus more slippage) and you will have to change it sooner than the doctor ordered.

ACCORD EX
11-17-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
mike,
what do you mean i need some study to do?
explain to me why it squeaks when it is cold but when it is hot it is not?
i would like to hear a good reason.

:D i meant that materials shrink when cold and expand when hot ! but i don't have any idea about the reason ! and i was just kidding with you man ! :D ;)

MIKE

shepherd79
11-17-2002, 05:47 AM
what ever. take 10mm range and tighten the belts if it is squeaks.