PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rack/Gear Box

87accordlxph
11-15-2002, 02:46 PM
I just went to Honda and got some more power steering fluid and I asked the dealer guy to get me a quote on a new gearbox shield, since it was bent before I bought the car. Anyway, we talked about the power steeing fluid leaking in conjunction w/ the gearbox cover and the rack. I didn't know that the PS leak was coming from that area until I checked. PS fluid is leaking from the gearbox or control unit or the rack or what??? My car's steering wheel vibrates as well so I'm thinking that maybe the rack is just gone.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Is this whole thing about the leaking power steering fluid and vibrating steering wheel have something to do w/ the rack since the PS fluid is all over the gearbox and lines and is leaking. I dunno WTF to do? I don't think it's leaking a lot but it's leaking.
The cost of the rack is like $1500 canadian not including installation from Honda. :(

How difficult would it be to do this all by myself???? :crying:

Can we get a How to on this one?

Help me guys, pleeeeese!!!

Thanks in advance.

I really don't want to sell it,but maybe I might have to look into buying another 3 geez cause I don't know wtf is going on w/ my steering wheel vbrating at high speeds. Anybody know what the best model would be?

-Mike

1989se-i
11-16-2002, 12:57 AM
Maybe its out of alignment?

ACCORD EX
11-16-2002, 03:28 AM
sorry man !but it's a bitch to replace !

anyway download the service manual ( in the faqs ) and read it carefully and ask here if you have any question !

i never done it on a honda ! but on a PEUGEOT it's a bitch ! :( :crying:

MIKE

87accordlxph
11-16-2002, 07:19 AM
SHIT?!

Ok so maybe I should just sell the thing for whatever w/ my rims and just buy another one... 89 EFI EXR? are those good? or maybe an 89 EFI SEI (if I can find one). Maybe I'll have to go down south and get one w/ no rust :D. This car of mine is rusting away fast anyway. How much should I sell it for? Sorry this is not in the right thread. I want to connect this one to the MAJOR problem that I have w/ my car.

Thanks guys

-Mike

AZmike
11-16-2002, 01:43 PM
The rack swap is a lot of work, but not that difficult. It took me a weekend. The hardest part was breaking some of the exhaust nuts loose...stupid self-locking bitches. The shake might just be coming from tires out of balance. Also, there is a valve in the rack that sometime gets stuck (there's a TSB on it). That might be why you're leaking from there. I got my rack for $150 US and installed it myself. Expect to spend around $225 US including the alignment that you NEED afterward and the various bits that you are supposed to replace after pulling stuff apart and all the PSF you'll need. Unless the rest of your car is falling apart too I would fix it and keep the car.

ACCORD EX
11-17-2002, 03:13 AM
in my opinion if you know your car that much you can replace and you have a car with no problems ! but if it's not in very good condition you can sell it and get another one for the price of the rack !

MIKE

87accordlxph
11-17-2002, 10:27 AM
cool thanks all