PDA

View Full Version : changing axle need help

2old_honda
11-15-2002, 07:32 PM
I am puting in a new axle on the drivers side, and I can't get the lower ball joint out. Is there any way to remove the old axle and install the new one without removing the ball joint?

2old_honda
11-15-2002, 10:25 PM
never mind, I got it out

njpeter
11-16-2002, 05:35 AM
I was crying till I decided to use a ball joint fork..thew out $30 on a puller, which just crushed the ball joint stud..glad I had the old trusty thread file around. Trashed the boot..but that's a cheapo replacement item.

ACCORD EX
11-16-2002, 06:46 AM
i got the not with a wrench
then i used a big hammer ! one hit and it's seperated !

MIKE

87accordlxph
11-16-2002, 07:05 AM
Do you have to do an alignment after you in stall ball joints?

AZmike
11-16-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 87accordlxph
Do you have to do an alignment after you in stall ball joints?

Not for lower ball joints. They are tapered and need no adjustment. If you replace your tie rod ends up go with prelude upper arms you definitley should get an alignment unless you're planning on gettting new tires right away.

2old_honda
11-16-2002, 04:03 PM
I tried it with a gear puller but it wouldnt move, so then I took off the puller and tried a joint fork and that wouldnt work, so then i tried hitting it w/ a hammer and that wouldnt work. So I used the puller, joint fork, and was hitting it with a hammer all at the same time and that poped it out. It took me like 3 hours just to get that damn thing out.

ACCORD EX
11-17-2002, 03:20 AM
i lerened something important ! that hammer hitting is improved by exprience ! :D

MIKE

SQ is the SQUAD
11-17-2002, 11:46 AM
a easy way to remove a ball joint for a control arm with our ruining the stud or the boot is to take a hydro jack, jack up te rotor to compress the spring a little and take a regular hammer and wack the control arm when it meets the ball joint a couple of times, it will come loose