PDA

View Full Version : A odd issue

Gt-r
11-17-2013, 02:05 AM
I'm at work bout to head out on a delivery and normally I can just bump the key and the car will crank up. Well last night I'd bump the key as usual and it would turn over and wouldn't catch and crank. I bump the key again and it catches but doesn't crank. Well the third time I hold the key down and it turns over and catches and cranks the car up just fine.

A couple of guys said this could be a peice on the back of the ignition switch. Do you guys agree?

Dr_Snooz
11-17-2013, 09:48 AM
it would turn over and wouldn't catch and crank.
it catches but doesn't crank.
it turns over and catches and cranks the car up just fine.

I'm having a hard time decoding this. Can you be more specific as to what is happening. It sounds like a bad starter solenoid to me, but I need clarification.

2oodoor
11-17-2013, 02:32 PM
Start by unhookin batterry and clean both ends connections, most common oversight with this type of problem.

Gt-r
11-17-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm having a hard time decoding this. Can you be more specific as to what is happening. It sounds like a bad starter solenoid to me, but I need clarification.

It's not the starter at all I know that. The issue is my accord normally I can just barely turn the key and it will crank up. Recently it has started this fit where the car will crank up and then die right back out. BUT if I hold the key instead of bumping it the car will crank up and run as normal.

Start by unhookin batterry and clean both ends connections, most common oversight with this type of problem.
Yeah mechanic 101: If something doesn't work check the battery connection. Mine are brand new with no corrosion or anything. Top of that they are brass so better connection.

If you watch this video you'll see when I crank the car up the rpm gauge goes up and then bottoms back out and you hear a thunk.
The second time I hit the key it jumps upto round maybe 1300 rpms and then bottoms out with no thunk sound. And then of course the third time the car cranks up and runs as normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT6AKSXUzbE

zenapup
11-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Not to be smart or anything, but it looks like you're either out of fuel or your gauge is not working

Gt-r
11-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Not to be smart or anything, but it looks like you're either out of fuel or your gauge is not working

Gauge does work. I just think my float in the tank is screwed up. Half a tank is a full tank for me. Empty is half a tank.

Hauntd ca3
11-18-2013, 12:09 AM
instead of just sticking the key in and turning it straight away, what do you hear if you turn the key to the run position and leave it till the cel goes out?
do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?
or do you hear nothing?
if you leave it until the cel goes out, does it start straight up with out any problems?

Gt-r
11-18-2013, 01:08 AM
instead of just sticking the key in and turning it straight away, what do you hear if you turn the key to the run position and leave it till the cel goes out?
do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?
or do you hear nothing?
if you leave it until the cel goes out, does it start straight up with out any problems?

Fuel pump works fine so does the starter I had the starter tested and the fuel pump is damn near brand new.

As I said it only happens when I bump the key. But when I hold the key it starts as normal.
Two people have said it's a peice on the end of the ignition switch going out.

Hauntd ca3
11-18-2013, 01:14 AM
it is possible the ign switch is getting tired.
usually when they pack up on hondas, you have to hold the key just past the run position to keep them running.
they are cheap, so its worth a try , even if for piece of mind it rules one more thing out

gyates93
11-18-2013, 07:31 PM
I don't really understand this 'bump the key' we speak of.. Maybe it's because I live up in the Great White North, but around here when we start our cars we turn the key to START and hold it there *chugchugchug* until the car fires up and runs on its own. What it looks like you're doing there is giving her the equivalent of a wimpy pull on the ski-doo pull starter, only with your starting motor..

Sorry for the humor, but seriously I can't see a problem there. Maybe it's just me.

Gt-r
11-18-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't really understand this 'bump the key' we speak of.. Maybe it's because I live up in the Great White North, but around here when we start our cars we turn the key to START and hold it there *chugchugchug* until the car fires up and runs on its own. What it looks like you're doing there is giving her the equivalent of a wimpy pull on the ski-doo pull starter, only with your starting motor..

Sorry for the humor, but seriously I can't see a problem there. Maybe it's just me.

I barely have to turn my car for it to crank up hence I "bump" the key. It's not really that big of a issue cause the car still starts as normal. It's just a annoying oddity.

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2013, 09:37 PM
You might be expecting more from the car than is warranted. Remember that the internal combustion engine is 19th century technology. There are a lot of moving parts that are in various stages of aging and decay. You can try a lot of troubleshooting and easter egging or just learn to hold the key a little longer than you used to. If you're determined to have it work the way it did, then start with a can of injector cleaner and a tune up.