PDA

View Full Version : gas door latch release inoperative

derolph
11-17-2013, 04:08 PM
About 3 years ago (winter of 2010/11), my 88 Accord was parked outdoors during major storm (freezing rain) and the gas door would not open due to ice. The entire space behind the door was literally a block of ice. My son was driving the car at that time and apparently used too much force when trying to pull the interior handle for the gas door release and, since the latch could not move, the latch cable was damaged somewhere and the latch will not respond to the interior gas door release handle. As a solution, I bent the latch hook on the back of the door so that it does not securely lock when the door is closed. But, this also means the door does not fully close; the rear end of it usually stays out about 3/4 inch.

When I pull on the handle, I hear the cable moving. So, I suspect the latch tab got separated from the cable but the cable from there to the inside handle is still functional. And so, I wonder whether the whole cable and latch button needs to be replaced or whether a repair can be done to reattach the latch tab to the cable.

If the whole cable needs to be replaced, does anyone know to go about doing that?

HelpMeHonda
11-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Check here for the part --->OEM Honda Parts Online (http://www.hondapartsonline.net/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215743)

I've been seeing a lot of people on here having good experiences with them lately...

Then grab the Haynes manual, it'll walk you through the replacement.

Dr_Snooz
11-19-2013, 12:04 PM
The factory manual is superior to the Haynes manual by orders of magnitude and is made freely available for download (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) by your friends here at 3geez.

derolph
11-20-2013, 12:06 PM
The factory manual is superior to the Haynes manual by orders of magnitude and is made freely available for download (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) by your friends here at 3geez.That link isn't working for me. Are you sure it is correct?

RAZR
11-20-2013, 12:53 PM
That link isn't working for me. Are you sure it is correct?

Here you go
http://www.3geez.com/forum/technical/25137-1986-1989-accord-shop-manual-updated-4.html

Dr_Snooz
11-20-2013, 09:13 PM
That link isn't working for me. Are you sure it is correct?

I have an email in with the site owner. We'll see what turns up.

JohnBoy
04-28-2014, 11:19 PM
mine never worked its not the cable its like the spring wasn't there so I just bent the tab and works fine.

derolph
04-29-2014, 05:37 AM
mine never worked its not the cable its like the spring wasn't there so I just bent the tab and works fine.Are you saying the tab simply does not touch the door latch? In other words, you just push your gas door shut as far as it will stay shut without being held closed by the latch and you open the door by hand. Is that it?

lostforawhile
05-02-2014, 05:25 PM
I have an email in with the site owner. We'll see what turns up.it was working earlier

lostforawhile
05-02-2014, 05:26 PM
manual is also on the 3geez wiki as well as the electrical manual and a bunch of other stuff

derolph
05-04-2014, 08:18 AM
For months, I have been simply driving without the gas cap door, i.e. with it removed. But, I don't like the look. So, yesterday, I decided to removed the spring clip on the hinge side of the door and remount the door. I have the tab (on the door) that latches to the lock cable button bent so that it barely touches the button when I close the door. And, with the spring clip removed, the door stays nearly all the way shut; it would stay in that position even if the tab was bent further and did not touch the button at all due to some stiffness in the hinge. To open the door, I can take a credit card and simply nudge the door open. This might be a permanent solution since I am hesitant to replace the whole cable.

JohnBoy
05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Are you saying the tab simply does not touch the door latch? In other words, you just push your gas door shut as far as it will stay shut without being held closed by the latch and you open the door by hand. Is that it?

ya pretty much it never open tell I push on the hinged side :rofl: