PDA

View Full Version : Distributor hold down bolt broke while adjusting timing... REPLACE with new ones!!

1989accordaz
11-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Just a word of caution.

I replaced the O-ring on the dizzy because it had an oil leak. I checked the timing and once set, I tighten the hold down bolts. Well, to my surprise the bottom one broke. I was lucky though, I was able to grab the part that was still inside the head and turn it until it was removed.

They are common and not hard to find 6 x 1.0 mm

From now on I ll just replace bolts with new ones. I will be replacing the oil filter base gasket very soon...but not before I get the new hold down bolts. Can't risk having those break on me.

derolph
11-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the tip. Good point to keep in mind, especially for older cars where the problem occurs more often. I have a few broken bolts on my 88 Accord but not on the engine. One of the bolts (the upper right one) on the rear license plate is broke. And, two or three bolts that hold the splash panel, or whatever it's called, that is under the radiator just behind the bumper molding, are broken. None of these broken bolts is critical for driving the car but I still wish I could get them fixed. However, removing them will be more complicated than your case; most likely, some tap and die work or some other technique will be required to remove them. So, I think you were lucky in being able to get the broken bolt out without resorting to a more complicated removal technique.

By the way, are those oil filter base gaskets hard to find? I'd like to replace mine too.

1989accordaz
11-18-2013, 08:22 PM
After this experience new bolts will be the rule for me. I got the oil filter-base gasket at the local dealer, still available from them as well as after market. But you can buy them off Honda sites like majestic at https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ or https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/ are some that carry them. Surprisingly they are not expensive.

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2013, 09:49 PM
You probably don't need to put more than about 16 ft-lbs of torque on those bolts.

zenapup
11-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Spec is actually 9 lb-ft. or 108 lb-in, if you want to know :)

Dr_Snooz
11-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks zenapup. I looked for the torque spec but couldn't find it. Nine ft-lbs is about wrist tight so it requires very little indeed.

1989accordaz
11-19-2013, 04:22 PM
The irony of this is that it broke while I was using my torque wrench. It was just the bolt that was ready to go. I remember setting my torque to under the specified 9 ft- lb , then comeback and tighten both at 9 ft-lb. But I think it gave up at 7. That is why it must have been easy for me to remove the broken piece.