PDA

View Full Version : Car cranks but wont start (small fire involved)

B89Lxi
11-18-2013, 10:52 AM
So i have an '89 Accord which caught fire about a week ago. The fire was right above the alternator and part of my wiring harness melted. I rewired the harness and now the engine cranks but wont start up. I noticed that my dash lights are not on and i believe my ECU is not turning on either. I checked my main relay and it looks beautiful. Any ideas what could be wrong (besides needing a new wiring harness).

**edit**
my battery light on the dash is on
-Brandon

B89Lxi
11-18-2013, 12:22 PM
i think it might be my ecu, how can i check if its dead?

Hauntd ca3
11-18-2013, 08:33 PM
check all the fuses first and work from there.

Dr_Snooz
11-18-2013, 09:40 PM
First find out if you're getting fuel and spark. Then proceed from there.

HelpMeHonda
11-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Bad battery or bad grounds

B89Lxi
11-19-2013, 07:37 PM
fuses are good along with the battery, sparks, and grounds. I'm not getting fuel (checked the fuel pressure) so I'm going to try bypassing relays using the servicing manual to see if theyre the problem, I checked the main relay and its in great condition, and checked the cables voltage. I also tried jumping the fuel pump. so it hopefully its one of the other relays

-brandon

B89Lxi
11-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Im going to order a new harness and ecu and see which one fixes the problem, or if they both will

Dr_Snooz
11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Did you find the problem or are you just buying random parts and hoping? How did you test the relays and pump and what were your results?

1989accordaz
11-27-2013, 05:11 PM
So is your fuel pump ok then? Just read that you tried jumping it...and it works I assume?

B89Lxi
11-28-2013, 02:24 PM
I couldn't figure out where the diagram in the service manual was referring to. When I tried jumping the fuel pump using the main relay, I got nothing. At this point i'm assuming I either messed up when I rewired the wiring harness (which i spent 3 hours doing once i got it out), or my ecu is fried. I called 911 as soon as I saw the fire, but by the time the police officer arrived, the fire went out. He had me try and start my car and there were sparks (the wiring harness). I think that could've shorted my ecu. My mom's trying to put my car in a shop, and I don't trust shops, so I hope by replacing the ecu and harness, my problem will be resolved.

Dr_Snooz
11-28-2013, 07:29 PM
I hope by replacing the ecu and harness, my problem will be resolved.

Hope is not a strategy. The ECU does a self-test whenever you turn on the key. It also flashes the Check Engine Light for 2 seconds to indicate that it's working. If your CEL is not lighting for 2 seconds when you first turn on the key, then that indicates problems with your ECU. For the fuel pump, just put straight 12V power to it to verify that it's working. If it is, then you're looking for a problem somewhere between the main relay and the pump. You should also be able to hear the main relay make a couple clicks when you first turn on the key.

Do proper troubleshooting before spending money. It will save you infinite time and hassle. If you don't know how to do the troubleshooting, just ask. :)

Phatman
12-02-2013, 09:28 PM
My ECU decided not to fire up the other day. When I was messing with the fuse box, I bumped the harness going to the ignition switch and suddenly it came to life. Check the harness under the dash and make sure the connections are tight there.

B89Lxi
12-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Dr_Snooz, i grounded a2(using this pinout diagram (http://carotman.no-ip.com:8888/personal_site/tech/ecu_pinouts/1989A20A3pinout.html)) on my ecu and turned the key, my CEL turned on for 2 seconds! so i think it is my harness, which i ordered and should be here within the week! ill let you know how it goes once i get it in.
(picture i used for the sorting of pinouts, yes i know its for 92-95)

B89Lxi
12-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. What ended up being the problem is that when i re wired the harness, i didnt connect the ground coming out of the fuel injector part of the harness. i feel like an idiot, but atleast it runs!

Dr_Snooz
12-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Good work! You saved a bundle too.