PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the Salvage Yards

DBMaster
11-16-2002, 03:23 PM
Well, bummer, I had to go to the salvage yards today to locate a right tailight. My best friend backed into my car when I had it parked in his driveway and broke the tailight. I had to replace the tailight, touch up the bumper, and repaint the entire rub strip. The problem with painting the rub strip is that once you have painted it any time it is bumped you get a bunch of paint flaking off. (I did use the flexible bumper paint).

My friend did offer to pay whatever it cost to fix the car. Money is not a problem there. Anyway, it only cost me $25 for the light and $4 for the can of paint. I doubt I am even going to ask him for any money. Some things just have to be cool between friends.

Anyway, the point of my story is that very few of these wrecking yards let you take your tools in and pull the parts yourself any more. I guess they had too many thefts. I had my 8mm socket in my pocket so I handed it to the guy that was pulling the tailight for me. He told me what a nice socket wrench I had. Somehow he "accidentally" put it in his toolbag after pulling the light. I yanked it back out and he said, "Oops! My bad." They are so worried about me stealing their parts and all. I wasn't even carrying a toolbox with me. I could have removed the light faster than he guy they sent to do it because I know the car.

Just rambling, I guess. Peace!

socal3rdgen
11-16-2002, 06:26 PM
hmm. well i just recently discovered a place that you have to bring your own tools and you can pull whatever you want for cheap. you could walk out with any thing you want if it will fit in your pocket

DBMaster
11-16-2002, 07:27 PM
Find me a place like that in the Dallas area and I'm there!

socal3rdgen
11-16-2002, 07:32 PM
pick your part. thats where i went

johndej
11-16-2002, 10:34 PM
i got speakers all around in my car out of a civic (they have the infinity ones in them) for $15 at a junk yard. i think thats a sweet deal, all i did was ask them where the honda section was and walked back there with a screw driver and just walked back up and paid. i can't wait to go back and get a few decals (my friend has the idea to make a belt with alot of them).