PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent blue smoke

CdaIdaho
11-23-2013, 02:57 PM
I searched the forms but unable to find previous answer to this question. I have a 89 accord couple LXi with 94,000 miles. A month ago the head gaskets and 1 cylinder wer replaced. Every 10th start or so a large cloud of blue smoke comes out for about 10 seconds. Then for a few days nothing....then it happens again, typically after it has been parked for the night. I doesn't blow blue smoke driving around town.

Should I be concerned about this? Recommendations? I want to make this engine last forever...it's only got 94K on it.

Thank you in advance for your advice oh wise ones!

RAZR
11-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Why did u only replace one cylinder?

CdaIdaho
11-23-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't know. I bought it a week ago and didn't think to ask him why only one cylinder. Here's what the receipt said, total $1,400 for the work done 2 months and 2,000 miles ago.
1. Overhaul cylinder head as needed, install used cylinder
2. Overheating, water in oil. Replace head gaskets, timing belt and water pump
3. Oil change

Would the work performed above be expected not have intermittent blue smoke? Any other suggestions on why it only happens every 10 starts...and should I be concerned and do something about it?

Thanks again...

RAZR
11-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Installed used cylinder.......hmm idk about blue smoke is rings possibly. is it exactly every 10 starts? idk how mechanicly inclined you are but do a compression test see what all the cylinders are at. change the oil and put 10w40. see if that does anything.
Is it just a cloud? or contant smoke for like 30 seconds?

Dr_Snooz
11-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Blue smoke at startup is almost always bad valve guide seals. As written, the invoice makes no sense. I suspect it means that a used cylinder head was installed, hence the bad valve guide seals. They are a fairly easy fix: not as hard as a head gasket, but not as easy as a headlight.

CdaIdaho
11-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks Dr. and Razr - is this a critical item to get fixed immediately or not so urgent.

Dr_Snooz
11-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Well, when they first start going bad, they give a little puff at startup. As they get worse, they blow more smoke. I'm not expert on how they fail, but I suspect that total failure looks like billows of smoke coming out the tailpipe at all times. To my knowledge, they last a pretty long time and the only real risk to the engine would be from sending all the oil in your crankcase out the tailpipe and seizing the engine. Which is highly unlikely if you check the oil regularly.

I'll just point out that it's not certain you have bad valve guide seals. Classic valve guide seal failure would be a blue puff at every startup, not billows every 10th startup. You could have something else going on like a bad PCV circuit, bad head gasket or leaky carb float. Whatever it is, I don't think it's urgent. Just keep an eye on your oil level and be watchful for any new symptoms.

Civic Accord Honda
12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
they will just smoke a bit on start ups...normaly cold starts...as it sits the oil in the head drains around the valves and in to the cylinders....you should be fine for a couple years lol ive had cars with bad valve seals for years without any issues...

g.frost
12-05-2013, 08:24 PM
It's a shame they didn't do the valve seals when the head was off; Real easy and cheap at that point and it is SOP.
You can try using 'high mileage oil' that uses Grp V oil to soften seals, or add a quart of Redline (Grp V) oil to your next change. That's what I did about 8-9 years and 30K+ miles ago when mine started; never a puff of blue smoke since.

Please report back if you try this; let us know if it works or not.

lostforawhile
12-05-2013, 08:33 PM
you can still do the seals on the car with the head on, if you dont have a compressor, look up using the rope trick to hold up the valves, it's really easy, normally the exhaust seals are about disintigrated

Dr_Snooz
12-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I forgot to mention that sending a lot of crap out the tailpipe tends to greatly shorten the life of your catalytic converter. If you have to pass smog checks, then you may want to get the problem fixed sooner rather than later.