PDA

View Full Version : My new fiberglassed dreamcast console..

89AccordNate
05-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Well, I finally got around to making my dreamcast console..(pics are at the bottom)....Ill list the steps of how I did in case anyone else wants to do it..

First you need to sit in your car and stare at your floor for atleast an hour to invision what you want it to look like. Then after staring for an hour, you sketch it on a peice of paper. After that, you get your little cardboard peices out and you start taping stuff together of how you 'think' you want it to look. After you get that done, then take your wood, and copy the cardboard template onto the wood and cut out all of the peices (I Used a band saw). Sand all of the corners smooth and put that beast together using wood screws..make sure to recess them into the board. For the front peice that is really round like a snow plow..once I got the wood sides and center together, I took a peice of cardboard and taped it at the angle I wanted it. For the 'raised' portions where the dreamcast sits on I used small peices of wood, and taped over them......this all gave me the shape I was looking for...now comes the fun part

Fiberglass over all of the joints and fiberglass the whole damn thing atleast 2 coats. Wear gloves and a mask, it will kill you if not! If you get it on your hands, its not fun to get off. Mixing it isnt that tough, but making it all stick isnt that much fun. Try to dab it and make it as smooth as possible because the more holes you have, the more your going to have to fill with bondo. After letting that sit for a good 2 hours to let it set..take your big mean dremel tool and smooth it as well as you can, removing all rough edges. After its as smooth as you can get it, mix up your bondo (I Used bondo lightweight body filler) and apply that to the whole thing... bondo I found out after 2 projects now is a definite art. After that sets up after 20 minutes, sand and sand on it for hours, until its how you want it...after that..paint it. As you can see im not perfect at bondo..thats after one coat, If i thought I wasnt going to cover it, I would had made it perfectly smooth using many layers of bondo. Total time to create was around 6 hours plus upholstry time. I sanded until my arm fell off...and then sanded some more.

Well, enough typing, here is the finished product before and after upholstry. The first one shows how it will set in my car.

http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/stand.jpg
http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/stand2.jpg

Nate.
:super:

89AccordNate
05-14-2002, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, my carpet is blue......I dont know why it looks grey in that pic......didnt want to hear "you cant fucking match you idiot"

http://www.pennswoods.net/~rita/front.jpg

Nate.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-14-2002, 06:34 PM
looks nice bro....great job on that

A20A1
05-14-2002, 06:53 PM
Thats cool... even leaves space to stick your legs... at first I thought it was going to be in a raised floor pannel.

I was planing on making a complete wooden dash WITH cup holders... and maybe something that will hold a PS2 or my dusty Dreamcast... I was also going to raise the CD player so it sits closer to the level the guages sit at now. no vents or dash controls... I removed most of that stuff already.

:bow:

TAGaCIRCLEa4anarky
05-14-2002, 08:09 PM
damn that shyts nice...but howd you upholster it yourself?

89AccordNate
05-14-2002, 08:20 PM
I didnt do it.....my Dr. mom did it tonight after doing some mad fabric work.....its about as pro as you can get...

Took her a good 2 hours id say...a little vinyl, templates, sewing, tacks, and glue guns go a long way eh! Took a lot of tugging/measuring to make it look that smooth and tight. Lots of experience..and its gaining with my damn car projects..she made me my shift boot out of the same material, and custom made my visor to hold the tv. Tommorrow we are finishing my headliner.....with flames sewn into it in blue.....and a grey background..and then im throwin in the 7" roof mounted lcd and new headunit..and im ready to roll it!

Nate.

gruvmstr206
05-14-2002, 09:32 PM
nate, i must say you are one creative son of a bastard. your trial and errors will develop you into a very constructive person with skills which will carry with you in the real world. good job, and keep at it!

funny when you said "stare at it for an hour", reminds me of when i used to stare in the trunk of my prelude so i can make my custom embedded stereo because taking trunk measurements is a biaaaaattchhhh!

:werd:

89AccordNate
05-14-2002, 09:36 PM
Yeah, the thoughts keep coming.....and yes im a son of a bastard and im damn proud of it!!

As for the trunk......why stare at it, all you need is some fiberglass matting, resin, some aluminum foil, and some wood and you can make a custom mold out of it, and then slap a top on it via fiberglass and wallah...its easy...i can explain it if need be :)

Nate.