PDA

View Full Version : distributor/ relucter

Dutchboy
11-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Ok here the thing...

im still chasing down a problem with missfiring...
my timing is always changing..

Ive been reading in a college mechanic book and it states that if the reluctor ( its a gray round thing in the distributor with the four little points on it) is magnetized that it will cause misfiring and poor driving...

so i have tested it 2 times and mine is magnetized..
.the thing is the setup on our cars is differnet than most and im wondering if
there is someone or a bunch of people out there with very good running cars to pop off the cap and rotor and take something metal that isnt magnetized and see if your is magnetized or not?????? use a feeler gauge it works best..

it would be of great help so that i know wether or not mine is bad and is the source of my problems..

here is a picture of what it is if the link works all the time.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/1f106821/bc/My+Photos/reluctor.gif?bcknr_9AmZg0skEs
Thanks ahead to anyone If anyone does try this...

Ben;)

A20A1
11-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Mine is magnetized... all 3 of my distributors have tiny metal shavings on the stator and reluctor.

Make sure the gap between the stator and the reluctor is the same on both sides and that the stator plates are not miss alligned. I've had that problem before.

A20A1
11-16-2002, 09:15 PM
After 8 tests with odd metalic items I found around the house... the stator has a very strong feild and the Reluctor is only mild... could it be that the feild is just induced by the fact that the reluctor is in such close proximity to the stator?

A20A1
11-16-2002, 09:16 PM
Maybe removing the reluctor intirely will net more accurate results... just a sec :D

A20A1
11-16-2002, 09:18 PM
WHELP that settles it then... the reluctor is not magnetized. :D

I suggest you pop of your reluctor to test it as well.

EDIT --->PS: I hope you guys read all the posts

Goodnight. :D

:omg: I did this bad boy in under 30 seconds... :rolleyes:

Sean
11-16-2002, 10:16 PM
hmm the pickup is inducing the field on the reluctor. the reluctor is made form non magentic steel.

A20A1
11-17-2002, 12:36 AM
With the reluctor off the distributor I cannot pick up a metal pin. Now when I touch the reluctor with a magnet on one end I can pick up the metal pin on the other end. Is that not an induced feild? Or is there something else at work? I know you know more about this stuff so please explain.

A20A1
11-17-2002, 12:42 AM
I just spent an hour looking for why/how non-magnetic materials can be induced with a field... and all I found was: MUONS DIMAGNETICS and UFO's... sheesh, I need a better search program. :D

ACCORD EX
11-17-2002, 03:39 AM
i think it's just like electricity and metal ! if a metal touched electricity and you put your finger on the other side of the metal you get fried ! :D

MIKE

Dutchboy
11-17-2002, 08:02 AM
MAN THAT WAS FAST:super:

Thanks A20A1!!!!!!!!!

well i guess i will have to pop mine off to see if is then,,,
i tried prying at it to see if i could get it off but it wont budge so i didnt want to break it ...the stupid little peice is like $20 with my 50% discount.!!!!!!!!!

IM going to be reading more in the book today and mabye i can find out more about it...
i can scan the pages of it if need be..

is that photo working for you guys??????????????

and A20A1 what the easiest way to pop the reluctor off???? i tried it with t2 screw drivers but am scared to break stuff....

BEn
:bow:

Dutchboy
11-17-2002, 08:07 AM
so im going to guess that mine is actually fine and that means i need to go get some carb clean and use it on my carb and see if the intake is leaking....mmmmmm

i sure hope its not the intake...but it wont be too hard to fix...

I Sure like fiddling on the car...
next year the emissions come off.....right after the winter and cold is gone that is....and then my intake which im going to build is going on....thats my winter project..

BEn

Dutchboy
11-17-2002, 08:08 AM
oh yah and on monday im registring for mechanics at the college!!!!!!!!!!!
cant wait till next year!!!
and a new job working with cars!!
BEn

A20A1
11-17-2002, 10:59 AM
I used the 2 screw drivers... it was tight in the begining but after that it poped off easily.

Dutchboy
11-17-2002, 11:22 AM
thanks...ill try it again when i got the time.....im goign to be at the mechanics class on monday getting my winters put on and then i can do that

thanks
BEn

Greg
11-17-2002, 09:03 PM
You know, I've been trying to chase down an occasional misfire on my girlfriend's 86LXI, and I think it might also be erratic timing (I said this in a post earlier this week).

I've been considering rehauling the distributor, but it's actually not THAT bad (some power loss, and stutters when cold). I don't want to buy a new one.

Anyway, I'm wondering:

Has anyone rebuilt their LXI distributor? Anyone know if there's a good how-to post on it somewhere?