PDA

View Full Version : i did it. 94+ teg seats in my accord

buish
11-16-2002, 09:15 PM
ok, i'm sure people ask if integra seats can fit and what not, so i finally bought some seats and see if they worked or not. i bought front and rears off a 97 teg, not sure if sedan or coupe. the back seats are too short length wise from side to side, so i didn't bother thinking of how to make it work. so i just installed the front seats.

anyway, from first impression, it looked like only 3 of 4 mounting bolt holes would align, since the 4th hole, rear doorside hole, the mount was perpendicular. the hole on our accord is flat on the floor, while the bracket is vertical. at first, i thought about switching bracket and rails, but after further inspection, the holes on the integra seats were mounted differently. so i put in the seat and see how it would fit. after much adjusting, only 2 of the 4 holes aligned. the front are fine. the rear hole by the e-brake didn't line up. so i screwed in the front bolts, and went to the hardware store to buy a bracket to mount at least 3 holes. it took forever to make the hole in the bracket i bought bigger but it finally worked.

the upside of the swap: i have leather seats instead of cloth.

the downside of the swap: they are grey and my interior is brown. also, since i didn't fabricate a bracket for the 4th hole, both of my seats tilt towards the door. the passenger side is not noticeable, but sitting in the driver's seat, i can definitely tell the difference, but doesn't affect my driving.

tips/problems: taking out the stock seats and putting them in the new seats is easy. i had someone help me align the holes, b/c i had too much trouble pushing against the bracket and getting the screw in. the majority of my time was drilling the hole in the bracket i bought bigger. took forever. if you are a whiz with a drill, i estimate swap shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.

price: cost me $310 for seats, plus about $5 max for 2 brackets, bolts, washers, and nuts.

conclusion: if you don't mind a tilted seat, then go ahead and do the swap. i don't have a problem with it.

sorry, no pics since i don't have a digi cam. might be purchasing one in the future, but the carbon fiber hood group buy is tempting. i hope this answers questions people might have with doing seat swapping.

Scorpion88LX
11-16-2002, 10:16 PM
you may want to think about getting a good bracket to fit the seats in properly. The problem with leaving it the way you did is that if or when you get in an accedent it is possible for you seats to come loos. Thus you and you passenger would end up in the dash, having to be pield off like an upside pizza from it's box, then poured into nice black plastic sleeping bags befor being given to your new subteranian home.
Not to rain on your parade here but just pointing out that it would be a smart idea to have the chair properly attached to the floor.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-16-2002, 10:49 PM
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience in a way thats trying to help out other's. That's cool in my book.:werd:

YK86
11-17-2002, 12:07 AM
Have you thought about fabricating some L shape brackets for the rears? I would defiently be concerned about safety as is. If you can make some sturdy brackets at the right height, it would solve the tilting problem and eliminate safety concerns.

SQ is the SQUAD
11-17-2002, 08:23 AM
you got ripped off for those seats

89AccordNate
11-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Grey seats and brown interior? Who cares how 'great' of a seat they are. Thats a color clashing disaster.

Yuck.

Nate.

quagmire
11-17-2002, 12:42 PM
$310 does seem like a lot of money for seats.

whiteboy
11-17-2002, 03:51 PM
310 isnt bad for front and back leather seats considering its like what 900 to get ur seats wrapped in vinyl ?

Jordan

BMS
11-17-2002, 09:13 PM
Would older seats fit? I can get some '92 teg seats cheap, but will they fit into an 88?

buish
11-17-2002, 10:13 PM
jim, you always contribute to everyone's post so i thought i can at least give back.

yes, i was expecting people to hate with the color clash, but i couldn't find any black leather interior. i think acura had tan interior, but i didn't like the color of it, so grey isn't bad.

for the tilting problem, i now put 1 block of wood a little thicker than 1 inch thick under the 4th unbolted bracket. so yes, the seats are straight. i had the blocks lying around. i got them from a pizza parlor. the ones with numbers on it, so they know where to deliver the pizza to what table.

yes, i understand the safety concern many of you have. i thought about fabricating an L shape bracket when i put in the seats. i would have needed a somewhat sturdy piece of L shaped bracket. then hammer it out to about 120 degrees to align the hole on the bracket and the hole on the floor. then i would have needed to drill a NEW hole closer to the angle of the bracket for the floor portion.

the 97 seats i got were in good condition. no rips, tears, or stains. passenger side was near mint. driver side had some minor wear on the side bolster where one gets out, and some wear on the seat where you sit, but not a BIG distraction. the rear seats were mint. getting your seats wrapped in whatever material you want can vary. but remember, the cheaper it is, doesn't mean you're going to get the greatest quality. if you can find a upholestry place that is willing to wrap the front and rear seats for $310, get them to do it and see how they come out compared to OEM leather seats.

i don't know if 92 teg seats can fit. i bought my seats assuming some of the holes lined up, and it came out pretty good. if you in a pinch for money, try going to a junkyard and see if there are seats and look at them first.

one thing i forgot to mention, beneath the driver side seat, there is a wire with a clip on the end that is suppose to connect to a wire and clip coming out of the floor. i think that is for the seatbelt light for your car. i couldn't connect them, b/c the clip on the acura seat is different so it didn't fit.

i know a picture speaks a thousand words. it doesn't look like i'm going to shell out $485 for a cf hood, so a digi cam might be in order once i find the model i want on sale.

YK86
11-17-2002, 10:51 PM
I had the same problem with the Lude seats so I made L brackets but it's a bitch to get the angle and height right. Plus I made them quite wide (the Lude rails are closer together than the Accord ones) so I can use the existing mounting holes and I thought wider=more sturdy. I can post some pics if you like (I have to find them though.....).

3rdGenMartyr
11-17-2002, 11:40 PM
pics of those lude seats would be great to see yk86, ever since my buddy's lude, ive wanted to swap the seats, but didt know how mush of a challenge it would be or how lond it would take, being that this is my only ride

YK86
11-18-2002, 01:33 AM
Here's the rear ones with the seat all the way forward. If you weld in a triangle piece on the side of the L, they would be extremely sturdy (I have a welder now but no more metal pieces). The metal is thicker than the metal used for the rail and even a sledgehammer had trouble bending it. I also slightly raised the seat up so my changer will fit under the seat (don't like mounting it in the trunk). The front ones are just flat extension pieces that bolt on to the narrow spaced Lude rails with holes on the lower half to bolt into the stock holes. I wouldn't reccomend driling new holes since the floor pan is reinforced where the stock holes are and the other places are pretty thin.

GreenMachine
11-18-2002, 11:29 PM
one thing i forgot to mention, beneath the driver side seat, there is a wire with a clip on the end that is suppose to connect to a wire and clip coming out of the floor. i think that is for the seatbelt light for your car. i couldn't connect them, b/c the clip on the acura seat is different so it didn't fit.

The wire clip is attached to the seatbelt not the seat, correct. At least thats how it is on mine. If so then just cut the wires and hook them up, i'm sure there is only 2 wires power/ground.

By the way cool mod puttin some new teg leather seats in !
just finish them off with some custom brackets:)