PDA

View Full Version : upgrades? or even worth it???

cdscowboy
11-17-2002, 03:17 AM
ok, before you all hate me, i'm new, so i don't know the plethera of info available on this site, i'm sure... anyways, i have a few questions about my car.

What is the model number of the engine?

Other than being shiny and loud, does regular intake have any benefits? I didn't seem to notice too much after installing it...

Why the hell are there no good kits?!?!?!

I installed a remote start/keyless entry, and now sometimes when I go to start it normally, it doesn't work, so I'll press the button and it'll start right up....:wtf:

Has anyone else installed or heard/seen of a Venom 400 installed on a 3gen? I was dinkin around online the other night and I found it. I called my local performance shop who said that even though Venom claims you can get 25% increase in hp, most peole see about 10-15 more hp. Is this bogus or not? I'm hesitant to spend $300 on something that's not gonna do jack shit.

Well, if my brain were properly functioning, I'd have more questions, but that'll do for now. I'm sure I've made a big enough fool of myself!!! :tongue: Appreciate the advice...

87accordlx
11-17-2002, 07:56 AM
welcome to the board, your first stop should be the FAQ's and the how-to's, lots of info there, your car has the A20 engine, as for the intake, do you have a cold air intake or a ram air? the cold air intake should have some gains, the ram air is prolly all in your head

A20A1
11-17-2002, 11:00 AM
Oh no you didn't... :D

1988starter
11-17-2002, 12:14 PM
short rams are good cold air is better and ram air is the best but the weapon r short ram sucks. I don;t think the venom thing is worth it.

Sabz5150
11-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Consider the injectors when you've done enough engine mods to demand a higher fuel supply, otherwise you're just wasting it...

cdscowboy
11-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info. 87, I have the short ram intake...it looks like the one on Sabz site pretty much. Starter, how the hell did you know I had the Weapon R??? Are they the only producer for the 3gen? Also, Sabz, I don't have enough engine mods to really require new injectors...all I have is that intake...and I guess the catback might help, but that's it. I'm a newb when it comes to mods!! Mods require money...I just want to know what to do when I actually DO get money!! lol Thanks for the info...I'll check out FAQ some more...

~cdscowboy

89AccordNate
11-17-2002, 03:49 PM
plethera.....wtf kind of word is that.

Nate.

toastyghost
11-17-2002, 04:27 PM
A misspelled one. But a real one nonetheless.

http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=plethora

cdscowboy
11-17-2002, 06:05 PM
You have to take into consideration that I wrote that at 3 in the morning. I wasn't exactly caring a whole lot if everything was grammatically correct.....but Nate, maybe you should brush up on fancy words...they come in handy every once in a while!

87AccordsterLx
11-17-2002, 06:45 PM
ouch..!!! Nate's not done with you man...!! lol

89AccordNate
11-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Screw fancy words. And screw the ones that try to use them and spell them improperly :D

Nate.

1988starter
11-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by cdscowboy
Thanks for the info. 87, I have the short ram intake...it looks like the one on Sabz site pretty much. Starter, how the hell did you know I had the Weapon R??? Are they the only producer for the 3gen? Also, Sabz, I don't have enough engine mods to really require new injectors...all I have is that intake...and I guess the catback might help, but that's it. I'm a newb when it comes to mods!! Mods require money...I just want to know what to do when I actually DO get money!! lol Thanks for the info...I'll check out FAQ some more...

~cdscowboy

eh just knew but I am not really a fan of them because the filter is not very good and they are expensive. A lot of people here use a 92 civiv intake.

cdscowboy
11-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Okay Nate, ya got me on that one...:lol: truce... Why can't the intake companies say that a 92 civic intake would fit on a 3gen??? I may as well have spent that ridiculous amount of money on something that was a bit more worth it...actually...is there really much difference in performance between the two??? :confused:

1988starter
11-18-2002, 06:13 AM
I am currently working woth cosmo racing on getting them to make an intake for us.

cdscowboy
11-18-2002, 04:06 PM
Sweet. I don't know if I'll be able to buy it, unless I can sell my Weapon-R...money's kinda tight around here!!

Sean
11-18-2002, 04:17 PM
id say look into a header. best bang for the buck.

cdscowboy
11-18-2002, 04:25 PM
k, hopefully this isn't a repeat....but the problem w/a header is finding the buck....

cdscowboy
11-18-2002, 04:25 PM
(and yay!! first thread to pass a page!! lol...okay, pathetic...)

KMS
11-18-2002, 06:22 PM
I have been racing an 88 accord for 6 years and probably have one of the fastest in the country I would be glad to help you if you need parts to go fast. Look at my site WWW.honda-performance.com the civic I run is blue and has a 2.0 accord lxi power plant. OLD SCHOOL

cdscowboy
11-18-2002, 06:29 PM
That is one hell of an '83 Civic...320hp!!! That's amazing...didn't even think it was possible. Just out of curiousity (I have NO money), how much would a header be roughly?

KMS
11-18-2002, 06:40 PM
$550.00 coted very nice. 298hp you drunk?

cdscowboy
11-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Yeah....definitely more worth my money at this point to eat!! lol No, I'm not drunk...I found the blue civic, and it says 320hp...
http://www.honda-performance.com/bluecivic.html

Unless I'm REALLY bad at reading, it says 320hp...

KMS
11-18-2002, 06:49 PM
may be thats the reason the web master dose not work here any more?:beer:

cdscowboy
11-18-2002, 06:51 PM
well, regardless, 298hp is still damn powerful for an Accord, in my book anyways...

KMS
11-18-2002, 06:59 PM
I have worked with the engine for 6 years look at this accord .http://www.honda-performance.com/rwbhonda.html it was band from racing it had won that much.we built this one also

cdscowboy
11-18-2002, 07:06 PM
That's pretty sweet...I could take it....:D or not....:bow:

Sabz5150
11-18-2002, 07:40 PM
Beautiful car!!! What did you do to achieve that kind of power, and where can I start getting these parts from :D

YK86
11-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Nice!

Sean
11-18-2002, 10:23 PM
yeah he got my quriosity peaked. what kind of rpm you turning there man ? and how did you get the head to flow the nesscary 270fm on the intake side ?

KMS
11-19-2002, 01:07 PM
I run 4 individual flat slides It has a verry large cam i have specs and i can have you one in about 2 weeks . but give me an email .And i ported and polished the head and flow tested it the compression ratio is 13.7 to 1 http://www.honda-performance.com/pics/bluecvc/enginefront.jpg There we go i found it

Sean
11-19-2002, 06:12 PM
ok man but you have yet to ansmwer my question. asuming that you did nothing to increase TQ and just isntalled a bigger cam my estimate with a 270cfm intake port and 9600rpm with 145lbt of TQ occuring at 7200rpm and peak hp at 9650. so please divulge what it is that you did to the head. the best ive been able to do and not hit water is 220cfm . but thats with alot of emphasis focused on low lift valve flow.

KMS
11-19-2002, 07:14 PM
What comp ratio did you use and what did your crank weigh?

Sean
11-19-2002, 07:42 PM
crank wieght does nto affect hp and this was with a 12:1 N/A motor it made 210hp. but then agian i blew that bastard up to. rods bolts dont like 9000rpm.

KMS
11-19-2002, 08:00 PM
That’s all and you blew it up? you have to get into the high 13s but they use to say you could not build power with this ether

http://www.honda-performance.com/pics/malley1l.jpg
Till we busted that ASS

Sean
11-19-2002, 09:20 PM
ok huas time for you to either put up or shut up. ive been asking the same question all day why dont you have an answer. also i keep seing pic of painted cars so what paints cheap.i want to proof hard core proof flow charts head porting guides i want the whole nine yard pal. im calling

Sean
11-19-2002, 09:22 PM
:toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet:

wtf did the BS smiley go ?

87AccordsterLx
11-19-2002, 10:10 PM
did we ever have one?

KMS
11-20-2002, 07:18 AM
Here is MY flow bench where is yours ? and this is derected at fun stick you know a lot of numbers This is all i do for a living build honda and acura race cars but i will shut up http://www.honda-performance.com/pics/swap/flowbench300.jpg . been REAL

Sean
11-20-2002, 01:45 PM
the first problem i have is that, that is not a a20a head. the second problem i have is that im sure if i looked via the internet for a while i could dig up the same pics. and 3rd and most importnant of all. ive actually been developing parts. i have people to prove i know my shit. so please do contiune to bore me with mindless bullshit.

ooh so please do post pics of the motor build up i doubt i could gather enough info form a pic to steal a really big industry secret. i mean jesus christ the want for 86-89 accord high performance parts could make you millions of dollars.

bbbbwwwwwhhhaahhahahahahhahahahahahahahah yeah right. fuck off.

KMS
11-20-2002, 02:38 PM
This will be my last post . Do you not under stand i run this company have you not looked at my site. But enough bull shit funstick you seem to have the leading edge on technology so i will let you handel it . sorry to have disrupted all your people what was I thanking? no could know as much as you may be you built somthing like this or mybe i stol it off the web http://www.honda-performance.com/pics/CRNSX_116.mlv

socal3rdgen
11-20-2002, 03:22 PM
i tried to ask for a dyno twice and he didnt really answer, jim just stepped in and said that he should do it. it seems like any question that would give proof he will not answer. if it wre me i would at least say i dont have one right now but i will get one soon.

Sean
11-20-2002, 07:26 PM
i dont have the leading edge of shit. i wish i could get the motor to make 300hp N/A ive been working at it for a while to. the best i have doen so far is 210hp at 8750rpm and the damn motor blew up. this was balanced btw. lieght weight rod pistons etc etc etc. thats why my ephasis is on turbo charging. if i simply double the TQ output i double the HP. pretty simple formula.

understand this is with lots of resarch and some of the best hea dporter int eh country. sure we could have just hogged it but there also a need for low end TQ on a street motor. this is the best weve done and its pretty hard to keep together. so if you could

explian how, where and why id be glad to listen but so far all i get is links. just a waste of my time. i want to sit down and discuss engine building thoery. i wanna talk about head flow. port mods valve guide shapping bowl blending. cam profiles overlap lift gross duration lift tent. i wanna talk motors and not like a chimpanze does. if you wish to have an intellegent conversation with someone who has a very good grip on this engine feel free to AIM me at djfreggens