PDA

View Full Version : Draining my battery??????

luis1578
11-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Every night I have to disconnect my battery cause
something is killing it..I went to a diagnostic shop
and they told me that its the number 4 fuse under
the hood. I want to know if anybody has a diagram
of what the fuses control???If anybody can help me
I would really appreciate it...

njpeter
11-17-2002, 07:47 AM
No 1 suspect is the alternator..diode could be shot and the field coils re always on. Put a headlight in line with the positive cable ( never turn the key in this mode)..since you are drawing overnight..it should light up..then pull one fuse at a time until it goes off..then you've isolated the bad circut. be warned..these things can be really hard to find..shops love jobs like this a real money pit. Best to fina local friend that can have at it for the price of a pizza and beer..if you wanna come over to my place in a couiple of weekends when I'm swinging an engine, I;ll be happy to have a look-see ( bring pizza and beer)

I'd bet a 6 pack it's the alternator..after you get up in the am and connect the cable..come back in an hour and see if the alternator is warm

second guess.trunk lamp..that's a 15 watt bulb..draws one amp @12 v..not enough to knock a good battery down overnight..but a mediorce battery can be killed off.

if the car was ever hit..could be the wires are rubbing on the chassis..even harder to find, but you can eyeball for this with a really strong flashlight..look for areas around the lower radiator whenre the harnesses come near the chassis. Guy has an electrical troubleshooting book on ebay (accord factory)..I reall it was $15 or so.

BoredRec
11-17-2002, 11:17 AM
That's called a parasitic draw (but you probably already knew that). The next step is to hook up a DVOM in series with the battery, in the amp mode. If the mechanic is correct, if you unplug the No. 4 fuse in the hood fuse box, whatever reading is on the DVOM will drop to 0 or almost 0. Next step is to figure out what is in the circuit that the No. 4 fuse protects. Make sure you put the fuse back in, and start unplugging the under dash fuses in the No. 4 fuse circuitry. When you get a another drop, you have found yer circuit, and all thats left is to pull out the wiring from the fuse to the component looking for a "short to ground" or an ineffective component (i.e. amp left on, screwed up radio, etc)

88LXi/87CRXSi
11-17-2002, 01:07 PM
Fuse #4 under hood: horns, brake lights, and if you have them, automatic seat belts. I guess thats a start. :(

-Steve

BoredRec
11-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi/87CRXSi
Fuse #4 under hood: horns, brake lights, and if you have them, automatic seat belts. I guess thats a start. :(

-Steve

Holy shit, that reminds me. It's a 89 right? Coupe? If so, that's what's wrong. Thanks 88LXi/87CRXSi for pointing that out. There are solenoids in the door that can be messed up, causing the battery to drain. The fix is to replace the door latch (which is expensive and a pain in the butt). The other option is to unplug them all together. Theory behind this: The Accords that have the seatbelt in the door is actually an early example of passive restraint. The seatbelt is never actually meant to come off, just open the door and climb out. The solenoids help control that. But sometimes they go bad and always remain "on." Therefore you have to replace the whole latch cuz that's where they are. But since this is costly, people usually just unplug them. Don't worry, the seatbelt will still work properly. Hope that helps.

luis1578
11-18-2002, 08:21 PM
I will give it a shot tomorrow morning..I think your on to something,cause about a week ago I replaced my window
motor and everytime I plugged it up it kept blowing my fuse.
So I put the ground else where and its been working,but now
this happened. Thanks for the thought........

anchovies
11-19-2002, 12:08 AM
ah ha...i think u guys solved one of my mysteries. Door latch solenoid...it's inside the door?

BoredRec
11-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
ah ha...i think u guys solved one of my mysteries. Door latch solenoid...it's inside the door?

Yup

njpeter
11-20-2002, 09:07 AM
funny, my left rear door cannot be unlocked, except by using the power swicth. Who's been in there on an 88 and has a clue..I just hate pulling the door panels off.

BoredRec
11-20-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by njpeter
funny, my left rear door cannot be unlocked, except by using the power swicth. Who's been in there on an 88 and has a clue..I just hate pulling the door panels off.

You can't unlock by the latch? probably a rod clip broke inside. Sorry, but looks like you gotta pull the door panel.

Listen2myBASS
09-05-2006, 09:55 AM
i had the same problem, and the guy i bought it from said it was something in the door draining it, but i disconnected it and it still drains? anything else that can be draining my battery in the door?

A18A
09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
might not be the door, could be the battery itself, batteries tend to drain them selves over night even if their disconnected, its just the way of nature o.O