PDA

View Full Version : Some SOB busted my passenger window and f'd the heater control, radio...

1989accordaz
11-26-2013, 04:57 PM

So now to hit the yard and see if I can get any of this....

2oodoor
11-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Disgusting, sorry that happened

Accord/Viger Ca5
11-26-2013, 07:32 PM
That happened to my car as well it made me so pissed i did not get my car back for 3 months but in the end its better off now i got better things for it and some good came out of it but i had to replace a whole door that sucked thank god for spray paint. cant wait to see what it looks like when its all good again.

1989accordaz
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Scored the heater control unit on ebay ( 20 dls free shipping) now I need to get my passenger window, will take a trip to the yard, they have 8 accords that will fit mine. Will probably need to make a bracket so everything stays in place, since the plastic one got messed up. I'll post pics of the progress in case ( hope it doesn't ) happens to you.

HLW
11-27-2013, 09:25 PM
You might be able to get the broken part from the J/Y. It is part of the lower dash. If they have the same color, it is not hard to get the entire dash out with just hand tools. It takes a bit of time, I took mine out on my own in 30-45 minutes when installing new carpet. It will probably be harder to get it out of the car with the tight spaces between card in most junkyards I've been to unless the car is on the end of a row.

Edit: There is instructions for removing the dash in the factory shop manual. It is page 21-87 in the 86-89 master manual and 21-68 in the 89 USDM manual.

1989accordaz
11-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the tip HLW, if I can't get all the pieces to look right, then getting the lower dash will be the right solution. Added to the list of items I need from the "strip bar" as my wife calls it.

1989accordaz
11-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Got the glass installed on the passenger's side. Yard part of course. The one thing about taking panels off and everything else that has all this plastic fasteners is that they are so brittle they break. So for everyone that brakes I am trying to replace it with a new one, just to do it right.

Dr_Snooz
11-30-2013, 04:24 PM
So for everyone that brakes I am trying to replace it with a new one, just to do it right.

You'll be glad you did. The more broken clips you have, the more the car will have rattles and squeaks. That crap gets old real fast.

The only thing you need to take special care over is that you don't rip the plastic plugs out of the panel as you break it loose. The only way to fix that is to replace the panel. I always take great care when removing my door panels.

1989accordaz
11-30-2013, 06:49 PM

All the pieces are starting to come together. I got my new stereo ( thanks to my wife ) and the heater control. Now to deal with the broken vents and the bracket which is part of the lower panel...

1989accordaz
11-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Well after almost a year long wait found a perfect dashboard, the right color, at the local JJ. Will head over tomorrow and pick it up. Never taken a dashboard apart before, been looking at the manual and seems pretty straight forward. An hour and a half or so? Anything that I need to be aware of based on experienced are welcomed.

1989accordaz
01-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Well after a little over a year, getting the right pieces this is finally repaired. I didn't replace the dash. Just worked with the one I have since it is still in pretty decent shape.

lostforawhile
01-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Well after a little over a year, getting the right pieces this is finally repaired. I didn't replace the dash. Just worked with the one I have since it is still in pretty decent shape.
I wish I had seen this earlier, I had one of the pushbutton heater controls you could have had

Dr_Snooz
01-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Dang. That was a long journey. Glad you got it fixed up.