PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have knowledge or experience with soda blasting

mykwikcoupe
11-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I have no interest in sand blasting or bead blasting at home. I would like to recondition a few all metal parts on the accord. The good thing about soda is its easy to clean up, not harmful to the environment when left and virtually inert when small pieces are left in the engine and trans.

I'd like to spray the engine, trans, suspension components and a few other really dirty parts of the car. I've read you don't even need to mask or remove plastics from parts. I'm not sure if the soda would blast the OEM finish off the suspension parts but even if they do a quick respray or home powder would fix that.

What advice does anyone have for performing such mods. I figured I could leave the engine and trans in the car and start spraying. I would park the car on a large tarp for material recovery. loosely mask the engine bay paint from over spray and have at the engine block and trans. I have such little stuff in the engine bay with the OBD1 swap and removal of AC and other non essentials. I would move onto control arms and hubs afterwards.With as little as I drive these cars, there's no reason they shouldn't look new.

Thanks for the help

Accord/Viger Ca5
11-26-2013, 07:24 PM
soda blasting is a nice way to go it wont harm the car and it wont mess with ol mother earth i am to going to do this to my car cheap and easy i say go for it and let me know what happens.

Hazwan
11-26-2013, 07:45 PM
I've done it on my carb before. They're pretty easy to clean up. I just soaked the carb in water lol and let it dry properly before reassembling.

What kind of soda blasting machine you're going to use? I build one myself. They're pretty straight forward to use tho. Spray on the stuff you're cleaning, rinse off with water, bam shiny ass parts!

mykwikcoupe
11-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Im looking at the standard harbor freight model. I may just buck up and go with the eastwood unit. I like how cheap everything is. Nothing is more than a few bucks.