PDA

View Full Version : Legal performance?

Reptile
11-17-2002, 06:46 PM
I am going to put pacesetter headers and a weber carb on my LX late next spring. What I want to know is will my car still be emisions legal and if not what will i have to do to keep it that way? I definitly want those 2 parts put on it so bad I can taste it, but will my car still be emisions legal afterward? Also what would be the best things to order for my car on this webpage?

http://www.ground-control.com/

I am wanting to build a grip machine that can corner sharp as hell. Can anyone tell me what I need to order from this site to do that. I know nothing about car suspension, but I want the best performance I can get from this site. Thank you for your help.

dXsquared
11-17-2002, 06:56 PM
you need a VIPER for a grip machine. it has huge back tires and a killer suspension setup.

Travis

Reptile
11-17-2002, 07:23 PM
Lol, I actually had the opportunity to park next a Viper a week or 2 ago. All I can say is my LX at least looks way better than a Viper. I would take my old LX over that overgrown hot wheels car any day. Why in the hell would some one buy one of those cars. The damn thing was barely taller than my cars mirrors. I'm 5'9 150 lbs. and I don’t think I could have gotten down inside that tiny little cab if you had paid me. Seriously I feel sorry for whoever buys one of those.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
11-17-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Reptile
I would take my old LX over that overgrown hot wheels car any day.
:lol :lol yea right

Reptile
11-17-2002, 07:38 PM
No I'm dead serious. After getting a good look at it and being able to compare it to my 3G, I'd take a 3G any day. Those cars hold no interest for me, and if you want to know the truth I was laughing my ass off at it when I drove away. Who in their right mind would pay that much money for a car they can only drive part of the year. Not only that but when they do drive it the cops tail them like fucking crazy. They go one mile over the limit and the cops would go nuts, me I can do 10-15 easily if I'm careful and never have to worry. In short I paid very little for my car and can enjoy it fully, they paid a small fortune and can't. It's a great status symbol, a symbol that the owner lost any sense he or she had a very long time ago.

Experimental_Honda
11-17-2002, 07:52 PM
im with him i hate vipers, they are fast dont get me wrong...but damn you could get a skyline gtr 33 and it would be faster with a few small mods. that and i think a skyline has alot more style, you cant beat good old 4 wheel drive as well. i lost all respect for the viper when i was at the track and saw a fuckin hybird gulf school the fuck outta 1. i mean yeah the viper was stock and the gulf had a audi TT turbo in it and enough boost to take out a small country but the gulf was still had less money in it then the viper. boo to viper yah to skyline's! japaneese cars will always rule the road.

Experimental_Honda
11-17-2002, 07:54 PM
oh yeah and im pretty sure with just the weber alone you would not pass the tests....but you cant quote me on that 1

Reptile
11-17-2002, 08:01 PM
no a webber and pacesetter headers, unless there is a better brand.

Reptile
11-17-2002, 08:06 PM
I may get an intake as well, I dont know a good brand though. I eventually want a weber with RAM air.

87AccordsterLx
11-17-2002, 09:13 PM
IM not even going to anwser because you just dissed one of the most well build street machines ever created... I can not beleve that you would take $2000 car over a $80,000 car... It can hit speeds close to 200mph and has 5 times more horsepower then our cars... thats just rediculous man... seriously...

http://www.dodge.com/img/home_main2_dodge.jpg
http://www.dodge.com/03_gallery/img/viper2_main.jpg
http://www.dodge.com/03_gallery/img/viper1_main.jpg
http://www.dodge.com/03_gallery/img/viper4_main.jpg
http://www.dodge.com/03_gallery/img/viper5_main.jpg

87AccordsterLx
11-17-2002, 09:15 PM
:D same pics as in my sig buy the way... :flip:

A20A1
11-17-2002, 09:34 PM
If I'm going red it's gonna be a Ferrari... not a Viper.

As for the carb conversion being emissions legal... it's hard to say since no one has done the weber conversion and tried to pas emissions... but I'm sure that you can tune the weber lean when you get tested and swithc it back to the performance jets after you pass.

88Burner
11-17-2002, 09:53 PM
but will my car still be emisions legal afterward? Also what would be the best things to order for my car on this webpage?

I have a Weber carb and Pacesetter header on my Lx. If you put them on, your accord won't pass smog. I'm not sure about the smog laws where you live, but it won't pass a California smog. I can smell my car at a stoplight with all the windows down... it's a gross polluter, and I love it. Sorry Cali! :321:

If you're dead set on the Weber, what I did was got a used one off Ebay for $80.00 and then I ordered a "performance" jet kit from http://www.racetep.com/weber.html (http://) They stock lots of Weber parts and are very knowledgable and helpful. Re-jetting the carb is easy, all you need is a screwdriver. You could even do their Race Prep for the Weber and it'd be better and cheaper than a new carb. Hope this helps.

Reptile
11-17-2002, 09:57 PM
WHAT!!! 80K for THAT!?! I thought they were 60+K not 80. Damn that makes it even worse. Who in their right mind would even consider that? Jesus Christ! Any way, thanks for the info A20 I knew you would be able to help me. I hope you don't mind me messaging you like that, but as I stated I knew you would be able to tell me what I needed to know. Anyway I wont be doing it untill after I get the emissions and my lisense renewed for the next 2 years anyway, so really I won't have to worry about it for a good 2 years.

87AccordsterLx
11-17-2002, 10:06 PM
the older ones are that price (60k)

Who in their right mind would even consider that?

anyone that wants 500hp and 500lb/ft of torque on a stock engine... I dont care that they are that much money... thats not the point.. I know that you could build a car that has more then that much HP for less... but how much boost would you be running??? replacing turbos and rebuilding your engine??? The point is that you said that you would rather your 3g over a VIPER.... and that you wouldnt take it if someone paid you to... what the hell are you smoking? thats just rediculous...

socal3rdgen
11-17-2002, 11:07 PM
i dont really like the viper but if i had shit load of cash i would definetly get one. if you really think MOST (notice i said most) high performance sports cars are supposed to be comfortable. your crazy. most have small cockpits. and ummm skylines are what side drive again? oh yeah the rightside. the skyline is my absolute favorite. but i hate the fact of rightside drive. and there only 10,000 more if i had 90,000 i would take a leftside skyline over a viper any day. but if i couldnt find one. which in the US is imposibble. (oh i know about the conversion to left, but that does me no good cuz thats even more money.) the viper can also be repaired easier on a US brand car. now put yourself in that guys place. he has 80,000 in his pocket. now you know he has got to have a lot more hten that to afford a cor like that. so its more of a status symbol to him. a american status symbol. if you were to drive by most ppl im a japenes real sports car. most would not even notice. here in the US. but if you drive by with a american real sports car. lots would notice. equallying heavier status symbol.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-17-2002, 11:54 PM
Also what would be the best things to order for my car on this webpage?

http://www.ground-control.com/

I am wanting to build a grip machine that can corner sharp as hell. Can anyone tell me what I need to order from this site to do that. I know nothing about car suspension, but I want the best performance I can get from this site. Thank you for your help.

Create a post on this in the Suspension/Wheels/Tires section so I can answer it.
:sadwave:

A20A1
11-17-2002, 11:58 PM
MOTOREX imports and converts the Skylines R-32 R-33 and R-34
problem is the HP goes down cause it's tuned to US specs.

Reptile
11-18-2002, 09:50 AM
Thanks jim I will do that latter today. And social I saw a NSX earlyer to day and that meant a whole lot more to me than any damn Viper or Vette. I live in the US so your anology isn't entirely acurate. And 87, I think you are the one smokeing something. Thank you for clearing up the price thing though, Like I said I thought they were around 65-67K, 80K only makes them that much less desirable. I'm an alfa male as well, so I understand the need for a car with power. However my penis isn't so small that I feel the need to compensate for it in some way. Like I said before, it's a great status symbol, a symbol that the owner lost any sense he or she had a very long time ago.

87AccordsterLx
11-18-2002, 09:24 PM
well sometimes I do take a few :bh: lol... :flip: but I guess we just take a different stand on this issue which is ok... I think that if you were to test drive a Viper for a week and then test drive a NSX.. you would question ever dissing the Viper... thats just my opinion though.. and yes it is a status symbol but for shits f#ckin sake guys... 500hp/500lbs of torque on a STOCK ENGINE!!!!!! ... thats a beast right there... I guess to me its just the most beautiful car... its curves and lines are what I desire in a performance ride... keep it real fellas....

pmip
11-18-2002, 09:32 PM
I don't know much about the new Vipers, but I absolutely hated the old vipers!!!! Basically they are cars only people who drove early 80's rustangs and who had mullets and then came into a lot of money would drive. They were great for drag racing, but who cares. They couldn't handle for shit, they looked ugly as hell, they costed way too much and were way to basic. Now I unerstand that they were trying to make them like the old cobras, but most of the poeple who buy them could care less. IMO vipers are pieces of shit (at least the old ones)!

87AccordsterLx
11-18-2002, 10:24 PM
hmm.. well I have driven in the 97 RT/10 back in SoCal.. a guy that I know owns one and and I must say that it handles extremly well... I dont know if you have ever driven in one before and Im taking it that you havent and that everyone that is dissing them has not either... seriously... dont diss it untill you have atleast driven in one.. I know that most of you will come back and say that you have now but my point stands... I have yet to ride in the new 2003 model but I have sat in one at the 2002 LA CAR SHOW in Los Angeles and it is f#cking incredible... I cant imagine what a true 500hp feels like... boost is one thing... real horses is another... any of you that have driven in some of the older hotrods will know the difference between boosted hp and real solely engine produced hp feels like....

pmip
11-18-2002, 10:31 PM
Sorry if I came off a little harsh, but I think Vipers are too over glorified. I'm sure if I rode in one my opinion would change (I tend to get excited easily), but I live in Iowa, and there is maybe one in the whole state. And I'm sure they do handle pretty well, but let's face it, they don't have anywhere near the handling abilities of the Z06 or the RX7. How many Vipers do you see winning anything on the tracks??? They were built with straight line speed in mind, handling came second.

A20A1
11-18-2002, 10:52 PM
It's torque rather than hp that gives the car it's kick... and a large displacement engine normally has good torque.

Reptile
11-19-2002, 05:50 AM
Good, I'm glad we agree to disagree. That was really all I wanted. I know my feelings are right for me, however I freely admit that they wouldn't be right for someone else. I like the NSX almost as well as you like the Viper. However even if I did have enough money for one (which in a few years I intend to) I most likely would never get it. I do agree with you on the boost thing, I want to modify my 3g to have the real power to back it up, not some bottled performance. Also I live like 3 blocks away from a Dodge dealer who has a Viper at least half of the year. You're right I haven't taken it for a test drive, just looking at it makes me not want to buy it. I also havn't taken an NSX or any other sports car for any test drives either, but like I said even if I had the money I would probably never buy one. To be honest I do hope you have the fortune to own one someday, every one deserves to try for a dream or a goal.

87AccordsterLx
11-19-2002, 04:18 PM
Thanks man... :) I really hope to one day... and I hope you get the car that you truly desire as well... all I can say to you is that if you have the time and opportunity.. dont pass up a test drive... Its a good reminder of just how powerful 500lbs of torque really feels like... its just something you'll never forget...

Reptile
11-20-2002, 09:08 PM
To be honest I'm already partialy driveing one of my dream cars, my 89 LX! What I really want is a 89 LX-i. And if I was extreamly rich I might consider a NSX, but I doubt it. A Civic Si wouldn't be to bad either.

quagmire
11-20-2002, 10:43 PM
In my humble opinion,
Viper: good power, but not good enough for $80K
NSX: killer looks, but not enough power for the price.
My exoticar would be a Honda S2000R, a great balance from the factory, and a MSRP of $54K. But for good ole power, I'd have to say the 86-87 Buick Grand Nationals take the cake.

Reptile
11-21-2002, 06:10 AM
S2000s are good too. I agree with you on the NSX though. They will probably have to drop the price like 25k before I even really start thinking about it.

Grant2k
11-21-2002, 07:27 AM
if somebody were gonna pay me to take a car, i would take it no matter what it was. you may not beleive it, but i actually had to PAY for the ownership of my car! if i were to get money for a working car, that would be nice.

and quagmire, it's nice to see somebody who appreciates a Grand National. I LOVE THOSE THINGS!

Reptile
11-27-2002, 07:54 PM
Oh, I think there has been a mis understanding. What I meant was that the cab was so tiny that even though I'm only 5'9 I don't think I could have fit into it even if someone payed me. I understand that sports cars do not have the highest levels of comfort, but there should at least be some comfort.

hoho1217
11-29-2002, 03:01 PM
IMO, vipers are no doubt FAST, but handling is chaotic due to the car's width and weight, as for the NSX, it has a decent handling, runs much more miles a gallon, looks nicer (IMO), lasts longer, more relaible, much lighter. and remember that viper requirs such a big v12 engine just to produce that HP, i mean the HP per Liter ratio is kinda rediculis, a NSX is a 6 cyl 3.2 liter and still producing 290hp, can u say efficiency?

not to mention NSX-R

:)

JaVaSa84
11-29-2002, 04:52 PM
That viper is hot. Don't like red though. Maybe if it was blue.

Grant2k
11-30-2002, 06:35 PM
somebody's signature is a little huge.

87AccordsterLx
12-01-2002, 09:44 PM
ya just a little...

here ya go man... no charge... but dont link it off of my site... save it and link it off your picturetrail.com thing or whatever you are using...

http://www.ghalili.com/Nathan/Nate's%20Page/3gs/smallersig.jpg

Neuspeed007
12-02-2002, 08:40 PM
i just downloaded a video off of kazaa and it weas a dodge neon vs a dodge viper and the neon schooled IT!

‹^› ‹(•Ώ•)› ‹^›
12-02-2002, 08:45 PM
I was saw a Viper lose to a civic on the 1/4!! for 5000 dollars!!

quagmire
12-02-2002, 11:05 PM
Just an FYI hoho1217, the viper is a V10. And ricers like to throw around that whole effeciency argument, but when it comes down to power, the bigger motor has the most potential, usually ( I don't want to say always, that word gets ya burned too often). Also, the NSX and Viper are about the same price, so I'd go for the 500hp before the 290hp for the same money. But I wouldnt spend that much on a car. As I said before gimme a GN or even better a Regal T-Type and half the cash and watch the results.