PDA

View Full Version : how to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

derolph
11-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Is this done by removing the standard pressure sensor from the oil filter base and replacing it a fitting screwed directly in to the hole for the standard sensor, or can the line for the mechanical gauge be connected somewhere else on the block?

Jeffrey803
11-30-2013, 11:58 PM
I am looking to add a aftermarket oil pressure gauge,got the gauge and nylon line,just need the sender to go to the oil filter housing,read it was metric or british fine threads. basically a pipe nipple to go from the oil filter housing to the nylon line adaptor.the line is 1/8" have the compression sleeves and nuts

Also read you can T it in with the light. I will have to pull the old light sender out and find a nipple to match the threads from the old sender to the new adaptor. my adaptor is 1/8" compression to 1/8" female.

Dr_Snooz
12-01-2013, 08:38 AM
The oil pressure sender is on the oil filter base against the engine block. It has a wire coming out of it. It's a good idea to replace it, because it doesn't really do anything to protect your engine. It finally comes on at a ridiculously low oil pressure, when it's already too late to save the engine. Installing an oil pressure gauge is one of the smartest upgrades you can make to these cars.

Read through this thread (http://www.3geez.com/forum/performance/29329-help-me-install-gauges-where-water-temp-sensor-oil-presser-senders.html) for particulars on installing a gauge. Pay special attention to lostforawhile's posts where he explains the differences in thread taper and gives the link to an adapter from MSC Industrial.

Here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/performance/70152-proper-oil-pressure-fitting-adaptor.html) is another thread from him with a different adapter setup.

It's wise to use copper line instead of the nylon line provided in the kit. The nylon line can break and spew oil into the cabin at 50 psi. Not fun. The copper line will be much more robust over the long haul.

Oldblueaccord
12-01-2013, 10:52 AM
The oil pressure sender is on the oil filter base against the engine block. It has a wire coming out of it. It's a good idea to replace it, because it doesn't really do anything to protect your engine. It finally comes on at a ridiculously low oil pressure, when it's already too late to save the engine. Installing an oil pressure gauge is one of the smartest upgrades you can make to these cars.

Read through this thread (http://www.3geez.com/forum/performance/29329-help-me-install-gauges-where-water-temp-sensor-oil-presser-senders.html) for particulars on installing a gauge. Pay special attention to lostforawhile's posts where he explains the differences in thread taper and gives the link to an adapter from MSC Industrial.

Here (http://www.3geez.com/forum/performance/70152-proper-oil-pressure-fitting-adaptor.html) is another thread from him with a different adapter setup.

It's wise to use copper line instead of the nylon line provided in the kit. The nylon line can break and spew oil into the cabin at 50 psi. Not fun. The copper line will be much more robust over the long haul.

Could use an electric guage skip the tubing all together.

Phatman
12-02-2013, 09:21 PM

This. There are adapters that go between the block and the filter in which you screw in a sending unit and then have an electrical connection to the gauge. Less chance of another leak and you won't end up with a cabin full of burning oil.

cygnus x-1
12-03-2013, 10:18 AM
The biggest issue with the nylon line is where it connects to the gauge. If it's not done correctly the line can be damaged by the fitting (too tight) or it can pull out (too loose). The other problem is if it gets kinked.

I have a mechanical gauge I'm going to be installing in my Suzuki pretty soon. I'll use the nylon line, but for additional protection I'm going to put another larger hose over it. Then I'll use heat shrink tubing to lock the larger line to the outside of the fitting on the gauge.

C|

lostforawhile
12-03-2013, 10:13 PM
dont use the nylon tube, don't ask me how I know,

2oodoor
12-04-2013, 04:37 AM

I agree, using a quality unit like Ford Motorsports/ TRO etc. (aftermarket performance) or reputable company's sender, elect & guage.
Im curious if Honda used one as an option for that era.

derolph
12-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for your input. Some additional questions.

Regarding an electric gauge, that means installing a gauge under or in the dashboard, right? Whether mounting a gauge for any type of more accurate oil pressure sensor, where would you mount the gauge? I can imagine hitting my knee against a gauge mounted under the dashboard.

Oldblueaccord
12-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks to everyone for your input. Some additional questions.

Regarding an electric gauge, that means installing a gauge under or in the dashboard, right? Whether mounting a gauge for any type of more accurate oil pressure sensor, where would you mount the gauge? I can imagine hitting my knee against a gauge mounted under the dashboard.

I mounted mine in slim sheet metal and put the gauge(oil pressure) in front of the shifter. I just bent the metal at 90 degrees and slide it under the plastic cover and the floor carpet. its not in line of sight but it doesn't get in the way at all. I used some brass parts to adapt the sensor in to the oil pressure housing. This parts a PIA because there is a lot in the way under the intake manifold. I don't know of any other port on the block to get oil pressure.

lostforawhile
12-07-2013, 02:31 PM
run a line from the oil pressure sender port on the engine to the firewall, then use a brass T to attach your sender etc, and anchor everything to the firewall. This solves the clearance issue, plus takes the extra stress off of the aluminum threads at the engine. you still need the 1/8 BSPT adapter to 1/8 NPT, the other advantage to this is you can use a different idiot light sender to make the light come on at a realistic PSI, mine comes on at 20 I think, I used a sender that fits most of the MGs. It's ironic a japanese car has brittish threads, and the sender off of the brittish car has NPT threads

Jedup
12-16-2013, 02:12 PM
In the past I have always used the braided steel setup from Autometer. You could probably put a really nice setup together using the push-on AN stuff.