PDA

View Full Version : how to alleviate freezing of doors in winter

derolph
12-06-2013, 10:12 AM
I live in Ohio. Winter weather here can bring freezing rain, sleet, snow, etc. Car doors can become frozen shut if a car gets wet and then subjected to freezing temperatures. I experienced a situation about 2 years ago where I had to open the trunk and crawl into the car through the trunk. Car owners have tried various techniques to minimize the problem. Typically, this involves applying something to the weatherstrip around the door to minimize sticking due to frozen moisture between the weatherstrip and doors. Have any of you who live in the colder regions found a particular solution you like best?

dieselgus
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
There is a product called Sil-Glide that is excellent for any weatherstripping. Put a little on your finger and smear it on all of them. Also great for brake caliper glide pins, lubing any rubber assemblies during assembly etc. One tube is about a 20 year supply.

niles
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I used a small amount of cooking oil applied to a rag, I wiped it on to the door's weather stripping. Also make sure the door jam and weather stripping are really clean.

derolph
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
OK, thanks for the comments. I think I'll get some Sil-Glyde at the local Advance Auto Parts store. I've also heard of using cooking oil and other kitchen or home products such cooking oil or furniture polish. But, I think I'll give the Sil-Glyde a try this winter. And, good point about cleaning the door jam and weather stripping. I gather any product used to prevent or minimize frozen doors will work better on clean surfaces.

gp02a0083
12-11-2013, 05:49 AM
all you gotta do is pour some water around the seams and it will release

derolph
12-12-2013, 03:23 PM
all you gotta do is pour some water around the seams and it will releaseOh man, you've got to be kidding. Yes, that will probably get the door open but if the door and weatherstrip are not completely dried then someway, the door will freeze again in freezing temperatures. In fact, the problem will probably have been worsened by poring water on the door.

clean_86
12-14-2013, 12:55 AM
There is a product called Sil-Glide that is excellent for any weatherstripping.

I have had this issue in Washington state... Thought I was going to break my door handle trying to open the door =/
I cleaned the door seals and it helped a bit. I get a tad bit of breeze thru the door seals. I figure the moist air coming in don't help either. My seals are in great shape & gaps/ body lines are perfect too.

Guess I'll have to look into Sil-Glide too. A lot cheaper than a new door handle!

THANKS for the help!

dieselgus
12-14-2013, 08:24 AM
The stuff works. And because it is silicone grease it won't degrade the rubber over time. Main reason doors freeze shut is water absorbing into the seals and freezing to the metal. Keep the water from absorbing, you will keep the door from freezing shut. You can also get away with using a silicone spray, but that is a little messier to apply (overspray). Should be able to pick it up at Napa (their own blue tube brand), or the actual White tube kind. One can also use 3M silicone paste grease as well.

In german car land they also swear by a product called Gummi pflege (I shit you all not. European members on here probably know what the hell it is). I have used it, and it does work pretty good. However not so easily obtained (online or maybe at your local german car nut specialty shop) and not all that cheap. Kind of a one trick pony, only for use on weatherstripping, whereas the Silglyde is pretty useful on a lot of other shit on a car (window tracks, o ring assembling, brake caliper pins, spark plug boots, intake flex joint assembling, yearly disassembly cleaning and maintenence of Snap On ratchets because nothing is better than a smooth operating tool, any sort of moving plastic parts that rub together, etc).

gp02a0083
12-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Oh man, you've got to be kidding. Yes, that will probably get the door open but if the door and weatherstrip are not completely dried then someway, the door will freeze again in freezing temperatures. In fact, the problem will probably have been worsened by poring water on the door.

Never had a problem with doing this with the 3 hatchbacks i've owned over 10 years, i've opened my doors like this when the car was an ice ball , let the car warm up and driven 10-15 min to work and never had an issue. If anything take rubbing compound and a good wax and clean the inside area of the door where the seal mates up.