PDA

View Full Version : window tint

socal3rdgen
11-17-2002, 11:58 PM
how the hell so i take off my rear window tint. its all cracked and it sux taking it off with a razor.

socal3rdgen
11-17-2002, 11:58 PM
is there any knd of solvent. i already tried nail polish remover.

loco87
11-18-2002, 12:24 AM
carburetor cleaner.hell yeah.

socal3rdgen
11-18-2002, 12:26 AM
ill try that. but will anthing eat thru the tint itself. cuz it has to get under neath it.

if no one can give me a good solvent then im going to use battery acid. :lol

DBMaster
11-18-2002, 01:43 PM
A tint shop guy told me to try this.

Get yourself a large black trash bag and lay it on the outside of the window. Using the window as a guide, cut the trash bag to fit the window. Now soak down the inside of the window really well with 409 (all purpose cleaner containing ammonia). You may want to lay some towels on your back shelf to keep things clean. Stick the trash bag onto the inside of the window trapping the 409 against the tint film. Park the car in the sun for several hours to let the heat and cleaner penetrate the film. Pull down the bag and keep spraying on 409 if necessary to keep it good and wet.

After several hours start working at the edges and the seams of the film and peel off as much as you can. DO NOT use any sort of scraping tool as you are likely to damage the defroster grid. Once you have peeled off as much as you can get a plastic scrubber pad (like a Dobie or Ruffy) and work on the window to remove as much adhesive residue as possible.

Repeat the trash bag and 409 application as many times as you have to to get the crap off. They tell me it takes a while, but it is the best way to keep from screwing up the defroster.

I have not had to do this myself yet, but the process was told to me directly by the owner of an Artech franchise in Dallas. I truct these guys and they know what they are doing. Let me know how it works!

rizalxi
11-18-2002, 03:00 PM
DBMaster is right.. tint's worst enemy is amonia eg (windex 409 all sortsa stuff) there is a tint removal aid.. you can usually find it near the tint in auto stores heck even wall-mart....

Project-LXi
11-18-2002, 05:33 PM
I used windex and a razor blade, and I didnt damage the defroster grid. It took about 45 mins all together.