PDA

View Full Version : Balljoint problem (relates to oldschool)

A20A3Power
05-14-2002, 07:56 PM
my car rattles too...like everytime i hit a slight bump in the road at an off angle or like going into a turn...i hear a knock coming from down there.....do u think it could be my balljoints? cuse i had replaced the axles a little while ago...and they seemed to be fine..and i cant find anyother places where there is slack...does anyone know what it could be?

Gregs89AccordLxi
05-14-2002, 11:32 PM
Maybe your cv joints? are your boots torn? My old car use to click and pop when i would turn and it was the cv joints.

shepherd79
05-15-2002, 04:20 AM
hey man,
everytime i hit a series of small bumps or good big one, there is a knoking sound, well, my friend used to be a mechanic but now he works for autozone. Well he told me that it is my "dumper mounting rubber". if they wear out, shock has some play, and that is what can make this knocking sound.

ACCORD EX
05-15-2002, 05:26 AM
i am 80 % sure they are the C.V. joints !
sorry man 1 :(

MIKE

locknload68
05-15-2002, 11:01 AM
I'd say it's something to do with the shocks. The only time I've ever heard CV joints making noise is when turning, not with up and down movement.

ACCORD EX
05-15-2002, 01:22 PM
BTW i said C.V joints because they click @ turning ! following me ! ? :)

MIKE

locknload68
05-15-2002, 04:06 PM
Sorry, I didn't read his original post as close as I should have. :)

Dutchboy
05-15-2002, 08:54 PM
check your coils....that was the problem on mine...it was broken at the bottom and made sounds over every little bump...
Just my 2cents worth

vtec11
05-16-2002, 05:40 AM
how long ago did you replace the axles? dosn't new CV joints come with axles for our cars ?

maybe it could be bad CV joints, AND something else.

88BlackEXi
05-18-2002, 06:33 PM
well i get a rattle when i turn and i got it checked, its the rear upper control arms (aka attached to the balljoints, so they have to be replaced along with them) as for me, i get a clicking noise if i hit a bump coming from the rear passenger side, im not sure what that is, but when i replace the ball joints and ill tell you if it went away

1988starter
05-20-2002, 04:55 PM
my sugestion is if you are replaceing cv joints just get new half shafts.

Einstein
05-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Here's my invoice for service at a Honda dealership. 138,000 miles...

(1) Replace 2 Right-Axle (Inner and Outer) CV boots (only) @ $ 25.50 each (Left axle was OK)
(2) Replace 2 Lower Ball Joints @ $54.16 each
(3) Inspect front brakes, and adjust rear brakes & E-brake

With labor and parts and state tax the bill came to $522.
I didn't notice a problem with the ball joints, but they said they were worn.

OK OK you think I paid too much. Sorry, I like genuine Honda parts and service. I do so much work myself I can afford it when I don't have the right tools.

Get this- my noisy brakes have plenty of pad but the rotor is well below spec. Seems the previous owner thought putting HARD pads on the car was the way to go. They probably went with a lifetime Midas job or something. For shame!

ACCORD EX
05-20-2002, 11:06 PM
ok it's a lot ! i would have done a bearing job on the honda service but not a C.V ! any way glad every thing is ok ! and about the ball joints you want find out if it 's worn or not until you remove the lower arm and move it by hand and see if there is a play in them ! :)

MIKE

OldSchoolSwap
05-23-2002, 08:33 AM
Rattles, clunks or weird noises coming from Suspention?

Here's things that i've experienced with personally:

-If you have coil overs:

They usually have 3 holes with screws around the sleeve in the top area. Make sure that all the screws are tight and none loose. This keeps the sleeve in place and tight against the shock.
If you fail to do this, you will hear "clunks" and "rattles"! Altough it is not dagerous, it will drive you insane every time it rattles and may strip some of the threads on the sleeve, due to spring/sleeve contact.

-Check your front upper control arm/"A" arm. Mine was so warned that I just shook the lower arm and that top joint rattled. The first clue to checking for warned joints is checking the rubber seal.
Make sure its intact and not ripped with grease spilled out. Grease is the life of the bearing, if the rubber seal is punktured, replace the joint.
If the rubber looks fine but you've never replaced the joint, checking the joint will require disasembling the suspention and checking it with your hands. The bearing must have some sort of pressure when you move it. If it feals loose and or rattles, REPLACE IT!

-Lower Control arm Bearing:
Same as upper. Note: our suspention does not require lubrication of the joints. Once they go bad, they must be replaced! No exceptions!

To dissasemble the suspention, you must never use those fork looking handles to pry the joints out. The proper way is to get a 2 lbs. hammer (after unscrewing all the screws out of the joints of course) and hitting the arms untill they loosen up and pop out of the joint. You can pull on the lower arm with your hand while your tapping on the corner joints, this will help you speed up the process.