PDA

View Full Version : Oh $hit.

Grant2k
11-18-2002, 09:30 AM
So i was driving home at like 12am in the rain, and my clutch says to me "Grant, i'm gettin old." I was doing about 60 and it started to slip real bad, so i pulled over, put it in neutral, and sat there for a second. the engine actually started sputtering so i gave it some gas and it started to idle fine. i gave it a second, drove off and it drove fine.
The next day me and pops check the freeplay, and there was like negative freeplay, so we adjusted that and played with the fast idle adjustment so the car runs a little more normal.
Over the winter (if i last that long) i am going to replace the axles and clutch. i plan on doing everything in the cluth that is replaceable (including the throw-out bearing so you don't have to suggest that). can anybody think of anything else that i should do while i am under there and have everything apart?
And lately, when driving up big hills, my car just can't do it. I'll be doing like 70 or 80 on the freeway, and when i start to go up a hill the car will just go down to like 55 or 60. it seems like when i give it throttle it doesn't even do anything. i watch the tach and, nothing. It isn't the cluth in that case becaus the RPMs don't go up either. Is my car mad at me? Thanks for any help.

BoredRec
11-18-2002, 06:21 PM
If you have the tranny out, pull the flywheel off and check the rear main seal. If it's starting to leak this is the time to change it.

Neuspeed87lx
11-18-2002, 08:38 PM
honda's arent very good up hills ...

Grant2k
11-18-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Neuspeed87lx
honda's arent very good up hills ...

but this isn't a huge hill. usually i can cruise up it at 80 without any straining or difference in how the car drives. when i go snowboarding i have to take hills in 2nd, so i know how it acts on real hills. this is different. thanks though.

and thanks BoredRec, i will check the rear main seal.

Neuspeed87lx
11-18-2002, 08:46 PM
so you notice a difference in how it used to get up the hill ?...i know when im going up a hill in 5th at about 50 and i floor it the car does absolutly nothing

markmdz89hatch
11-18-2002, 08:55 PM
i had the same problem with mine... ...just for shits&giggles, for 10bux and 20min. you can get new fuel filters. Sounds stupid, but just might be the solution you're looking for. Otherwise, after trying the other suggestions, I'd think about a compression test just to make sure you're where you need to be at.

Grant2k
11-19-2002, 06:04 AM
i am going to be doing a whole tune up in some coming weekend. we went over most of the possibilities like fuel filters and plugs and tune up related things. we looked at one of the plugs and it looked clean. i think it's still missing at idle though.

Grant2k
11-19-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Neuspeed87lx
so you notice a difference in how it used to get up the hill ?...i know when im going up a hill in 5th at about 50 and i floor it the car does absolutly nothing
yeah, if i'm going up a hill in 5th doing 50 then, yeah my car wouldn't do that and i would downshift and make it. but on this hill, if i'm doing 80 i can do it fine in 5th. but when it starts to slow down lately i downshift to 4th and i still go slow as hell.

dosh8er
11-19-2002, 06:14 PM
that clutch deal.. that's not a good thing. I started to notice my clutch slipping when I'd accel. in like 2nd, and punch it down, and watch the tach just go up and up, and me go same speed. (see if you notice this too).

Slipping clutch is not a good thing. If you let that go too long you'll completely fuck up your flywheel.. and you wouldn't want that.

Plus, it's not good when you have to walk somewhere to call, or get a ride or something, because you're stuck. And I know that winter in the Northeast can't be easy.. heck, it's not easy here in michigan...

socal3rdgen
11-19-2002, 06:19 PM
well i can attest to the rear main seal fucking me over. mine leaked into my clutch housing af fucked it over.

RobT5580
11-19-2002, 06:34 PM
Dont for get to replace the SPRING on the shift fork trust me not even 2 months after i put the new clutch in it broke and for a few dollar spring you dont want to have to pull the tranny out. I was pist off but my stupidity i guess.