PDA

View Full Version : removing intake manifold 1986 accord lx

tointocars1
12-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Can you remove the intake manifold while the engine is still in the car? I have an intake manifold gasket leak and need to change the gasket out, but can figure out how to get to the lower bolts. I have the actual honda FSM and have googled quite a bit and both were no help. Any help or tips on this would be great.

Vehicle
1986 honda accord, carb, 5 speed, 130,000 mile, completely stock

Jedup
12-16-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm don't know about 88 Accord, but on 94 Accord I had to remove part of thermostat housing to gain enough access to reach nuts on underside of intake manifold on pax side. I also ran into some wiring harnesses bolted to underside of the intake manifold that had to be released from beneath the car. Pretty sure the intake manifold has to come off to allow cylinder head to be removed, not the other way round.

good luck

Keachman1
12-16-2013, 02:46 PM
I usually use a 10-12" 3/8 drive extension with a universal joint and a short 6 point 12 mm socket. With the carb removed, you can get to the lower bolts by going between the intake runners on the inner lower bolts from above. The lower outer bolts are removed with a boxed end wrench. Don't forget the two lower support brackets also on the intake bottom. Get those with a long extension from under the car. I have all the emissions removed from my car and that helps 1000% also.

2oodoor
12-16-2013, 03:31 PM
You can get to most of the nuts with extentions but a few, especially one on the rt side that has very little room for the socket. I have a short six point that I ground down some of the thickness (outer of course) so it slides on the nut fully. The intake will come with the head but I usually put them back on seperatley, just my preference.