PDA

View Full Version : god damn what the fu*&

1988starter
11-18-2002, 02:46 PM
god damn what the fu*&.

Ok here is the deal yes I know I am posting in the wrong forum but I need help before I leave school and I know this is the most populated forums.

Ok on my way to school I notice something weird when I turn on my car I first notice the battery light does not turn on I look it up in haynes and it say replace the bulb so I say ok I will later. On my drive I notice that my cars lights are really dim and then when I am in the parking lot at school and my radio shuts off I just replaced my alternator 400 miles ago and my car seems to be in tip top shape any ideas guys I allready clled somebody to follow me home. Ahgh help me.

anchovies
11-18-2002, 02:51 PM
Make sure all connections are good, especially the one to the alternator. Test the battery and alternator. Battery should be around 12V and with car running, 14-15V if your alternator is working okie.

1988starter
11-18-2002, 02:55 PM
unfortunately I am at school without my multi meter

GreenMachine
11-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Its either the alt or batt, so like anchovies said check voltage.
good luck !

1988starter
11-18-2002, 03:02 PM
yea when My Gf gets here I will try switching out my battery.

Greg
11-18-2002, 04:12 PM
As other people said, make sure the wiring connections at the alternator are secure. I didn't snap my multi-connector in all the way when I did mine about a year ago, and my light flickered occasionally until I got up under there a week later and secured it. Now it's fine.

But it could be your battery too or something else.

BoredRec
11-18-2002, 06:17 PM
If yer lights are dimming chances are it's not the battery. The car can run without a battery in it, but don't do it, cuz it can fuck things up. I would make sure the B-post is tight on the alternator, and check to see what kinda condition the positive battery cable is in. If there is a lot of corrosion on it, it might be limiting the juice that goes back to the battery.

1988starter
11-18-2002, 06:38 PM
I am sorry for the post in the wrong section it was haste and stupid. Well it is fixed the alternator that i bought last month october. Died and stopped working so I had it replaced and tested just as my multi meter thought 9.75 volt output. I love lifetime warentys. Well I just wanted to apologise for the rudeness of my post and thank you for all your help damn one month old alternator.

bobafett
11-18-2002, 07:58 PM
glad you got up and running, when i had a problem like that it turned out that my + terminal on the battery was disconnected! crazy eh!

ACCORD EX
11-19-2002, 04:02 AM
does your lights work while the car is running if yes so it's propably the batt ! if not so it's prapably an Alternator !
use a multimeter and measure the battery while car is running should be 14.5 V and 15 V @ 2000 rpm !

MIKE

1988starter
11-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Sorry Ex I think you cam in a bit late I allready posted that I changed the alternator last night. It was only putting out 9.76 volts damn one month old broken alternator. Yea lifetime warenty

smufguy
11-19-2002, 06:28 PM
where did u get it replaced? was that the wrong part number for the 3g? cause one of the members here got a wrong alt put in by a jackass and did not last a bit.

1988starter
11-19-2002, 07:10 PM
I did the replacement my self and I bought it from advanced auto parts. It takes me about an hour and a half to take one out and put it back in. That includes clean up.

ACCORD EX
11-20-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by 1988starter
Sorry Ex I think you cam in a bit late I allready posted that I changed the alternator last night. It was only putting out 9.76 volts damn one month old broken alternator. Yea lifetime warenty

:banghead: :banghead:

MIKE