PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Noob Question

89accordboi
11-18-2002, 03:13 PM
i want to drop my car a couple inches soon, do i only need lowring springs? :rolleyes: sry im stupid

pmip
11-18-2002, 03:24 PM
There's a search button in the upper right hand corner!

1989 DX R
11-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Yeah, you do, as well as new shocks. Check the suspension tech forum and ask for Jim.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-18-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 89accordboi
i want to drop my car a couple inches soon, do i only need lowring springs? :rolleyes: sry im stupid

All lowering springs are stiffer. You will need a strut that is likewise stiffer. Or your car will ride and drive like crap.
How much of a drop do you want?, 1.5", 2" or 2.25"?
Once you figure that out, install at least koni struts in the front and if you want to pinch a few pennies you can run tokico struts in the rear.

You can take a look at the post a the top of this section. It show's you most of the springs you can get, how much they lower the car and how much stiffer than stock they are. Plus read about any possible bad things in the design of the spring.

Jim c.

Neuspeed87lx
11-18-2002, 08:27 PM
well you dont HAVE to get them.... im NOT recommending it but you can cut/heat the springs to lower the car...... it will ride like junk though ....save your money and get springs/struts/camber kit.....

Jims 86LXI HB
11-18-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Neuspeed87lx
well you dont HAVE to get them.... im NOT recommending it but you can cut/heat the springs to lower the car...... it will ride like junk though ....save your money and get springs/struts/camber kit.....

Never ever heat a spring, don't ever do that. Heating a spring removes the properties in the metal that give it it's spring. You are making it weaker and dramatically increasing the risk that it will break while trying to be a spring. When someone is trying to do their best while cutting a spring, that take procautions to not let the spring get hot for that very reason. I, like most every suspension moderator I've ever seen on a automotive forum, do not recommend cutting springs.

Neuspeed87lx
11-21-2002, 06:37 PM
i wasnt recommending it ....i would never heat or cut them....but it works

dXsquared
11-21-2002, 06:40 PM
heating the spring makes it lower? how?

Travis

Neuspeed87lx
11-21-2002, 06:50 PM
the spring compresses....people heat the spring ...put weight on the car... let it cool and the spring is shorter..but like jim said ...it weakens it

bobafett
11-21-2002, 06:52 PM
i think it basically makes them sag... which makes them lower, the dangerous part is that they are no longer springs, they are sags... and i am not sure its too smart driving around like that... :)

Neuspeed87lx
11-21-2002, 07:38 PM
im still not saying its right but i know like 3 different people that heated their springs and they have been driving around for over a year

Scorpion88LX
11-21-2002, 07:45 PM
heating the spring changes the spring rate by changing the distance between molecules

Mantis88LX
11-22-2002, 03:22 PM
i know 2 poeple who heated there springs and there cars actually ride good. but i just wouldnt feel safe

89accordboi
11-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
i think it basically makes them sag... which makes them lower, the dangerous part is that they are no longer springs, they are sags... and i am not sure its too smart driving around like that... :)

:lol