PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump + Timing Belt

89AccordLX89
12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I plan on replacing my water pump and timing belt this weekend.
Any tips or suggestions? This is the first time I will really be digging into this engine
The stock timing belt has about 55,000 miles on it but I figured if I was in there changing the water pump I might as well change the belt too

Any suggestions would be great! (Reliable Brands, anything else to replace while I'm at it)

Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
12-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Gates is a good belt. Replace the tensioner and all the oil seals (cam, crank and oil pump) behind that timing cover as well. It's so hard to get to it that you want to replace everything you can while it's open.

go2eleven
12-23-2013, 10:27 PM
I haven't done the timing belt, but I /can/ say from experience that if you round off one of the bolts on the water pump pulley, you can still take the water pump off. /That/ was a pain in the neck, but I got it done. Have fun!

89AccordLX89
12-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Well I ended up replacing the water pump without any problems at all (surprisingly lol)
Upon further inspection of the timing belt I decided to wait to replace it, the belt was in almost new condition
I did, however, replace the water pump/alternator belt, the p/s belt and the a/c belt since I removed them anyway to give me some more room
Wasn't hard at all really, sounded a lot more involved than it actually was, took me about 3 hours to do everything
I didn't think that was that long considering it was my first time