PDA

View Full Version : Brake change followup - should I worry?

2Fast4U86
11-18-2002, 06:10 PM
Hi guys, hope you can help me out...

Changed my brake pads this weekend - got the rotors turned, got some new pads. All is well. Didn't abuse them too much yesterday, just kinda drove around, braking lightly.

In general, the brake pedal feels slightly mushier than it did before - Driving home tonight, tried to slam the brakes to see what would happen - well, the wheels didn't lock up when I expected them to... altho the pedal still had travel in it to go, I just didn't push it completely. Coming out of the car noticed there's a burning smell coming from the wheel(s).

So, should I worry, take off the wheels and look, or are the pads just "wearing in"?

Thanks,

2Fast

P.S. One of the cables that connects the caliper to the brake system has a crack in the outer rubber covering... should I change it? or don't worry until it starts leaking? :)

BoredRec
11-18-2002, 06:14 PM
That brake line could be a problem, wouldn't hurt to change it. There may be some air in the system, wouldn't hurt to bleed the front brakes. That burning smell coulda been from your greasy hands, or could be the pads still breaking in. Takes a while for the pads to break in. Is your car DX? LX? LXi? SEO pads are semi-metallic and take longer time to break in compared to SD4/SR3 pads.

2Fast4U86
11-18-2002, 09:39 PM
The car is an LX. I didn't open the brake system at all, so I don't think that air got into it as a result of the brake change. The brakes still smell quite a bit, hopefully they're just wearing in and I'm ok :)

I sprayed the disks with brake cleaner before putting the pads on, but maybe some stuff still remained on them? hmm..

Not sure what SEO pads are, I was rushed, so ended up just getting medium-grade (as in not the most expensive) pads at NAPA.

2Fast

BoredRec
11-19-2002, 07:42 PM
SEO is the part number. They're probably semi-metallic, so it'll take a while to break in.

Bullfrog
12-15-2002, 06:31 PM
i also replaced my front brake pads this weekend...did the same thing i didnt open the brake lines or anything and the pedal feels very squishy also....so your not alone...maybe it needs broken in?

Einstein
12-15-2002, 06:44 PM
I had the front rotors and pads replaced (rotors were destroyed by previous owner's decision to go with hard lifetime pads)

The brakes felt poor for as much as 500 miles, give them time and aviod hard stops.

cruznz
12-15-2002, 09:09 PM
are you loosing fluid?

2Fast4U86
12-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Oh wow, this thread is still being read... I don't think I'm losing fluid, and... the brakes seem to be working ok, so... all is well :)

2Fast

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
12-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Hi Guys:

It's quite normal not to have full braking power after replacing pads & resurfacing rotors. The pads haven't had a chance to properly set on the rotors. You should have normal braking power after 50-100 miles or even less with the type of driving you do. That's why they say to go easy on the brakes after replacement.

If you want piece of mind, remove the wheels and reinspect the brake system. Also, if you're going to take everything apart, inspect the calipers, drums and wheel cylinders. It never hurts to be overly cautious and with the brake system it's a good precaution.

Claude

Grant2k
12-16-2002, 07:09 AM
i would just bleed them, like BoredRec said. it never hurts to bleed them, and you never know if air did get in there somehow. and i would definitly change that hose. that would be a great excuse to bleed them.