PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Honda Accord

Karhoot
12-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Just went outside to start tinkering with the Honda a little more.
Ruled out the carburetor, it ended up being my plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor.
The thing I noticed about her though..

At operating temp, not too sure if it was because it was cold outside or not, but.
There was either white smoke or white exhaust fumes coming from the tail pipe, I'm pretty sure it was fumes, but they were very strong. Kind of like walking into a mist of pepper.

Another thing, it still has SMALL sputtering, but it is actually running on it's own, which is making me happy as a pig in shit.

Any idea where I should start diagnosing?
What does burning coolant smell like?
Is it a possibility of a blown head gasket?

Karhoot
12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Just had it started and everything, was running really smooth.
Just another thing. Tried to move it back into the garage, and it's a 5 speed.
Whenever it would start rolling, it felt like it wanted to stall out, and barely had enough power to get over a small bump.
What could this be?

Karhoot
12-23-2013, 03:53 PM
New thing as well: I tried driving it. It bogs down like hell. It barely had enoufh power to move up a small bump in my driveway and was like.. popping through the carb if the RPM dropped too low.
Anything that you guys could diagnose would be great! Can poat a video in the morning

Oldblueaccord
12-23-2013, 07:00 PM
New thing as well: I tried driving it. It bogs down like hell. It barely had enoufh power to move up a small bump in my driveway and was like.. popping through the carb if the RPM dropped too low.
Anything that you guys could diagnose would be great! Can poat a video in the morning

Assuming the new parts you put on are correct to me sounds like the timing is off.

Cap and rotor ok together?

Karhoot
12-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Yes, they're both fine.
How would I time this beast?

Oldblueaccord
12-24-2013, 08:06 AM
You turn the distributor. Advance makes the idle higher.

Since your carbed look real close at vacuum lines and the carb it self. Warmed up the choke should be wide open.

Also double check you put the spark plug wires on in the right order.

Karhoot
12-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Is a timing light necessary?

Oldblueaccord
12-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Is a timing light necessary?

You should use one but if you don't just to get it running you don't need one.

Did the car run alright before you tuned it up or is this an on going thing?

Karhoot
12-24-2013, 01:52 PM
No, this was noticed after I tuned it up.
It wouldn't run on it's own before I changed out the spark plugs and wires.