PDA

View Full Version : '89 Accord won't start.

Karhoot
12-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Hello guys.
I recently ran into a little issue with my '89 a20a1 (carbureted) Honda Accord.
It won't fire!
I changed out the dizzy cap, rotor, plugs and wires and I'm not sure what else to do at this point.
I go to crank it over, and it's like "sneezing" out the top of the carburetor, and won't start.
Anyone ever have this problem?

Where should I start diagnosing?

Hauntd ca3
12-26-2013, 01:48 PM
make sure you have the leads in the right places on the cap first and make sure you have spark, then check the static timing is right.
if ignition side of things is right, make sure you have good compression and fuel

Karhoot
12-27-2013, 10:50 AM
How would I first check to see if the car is getting spark/fuel?

1989accordaz
12-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Was it working ok before you changed the rotor, caps and wires? Double check your firing order http://www.3geez.com/forum/technical/67859-plug-firing-order.html

Karhoot
12-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Yeah it was working fine. It's kind of self explanatory as to the firing order. It numbers itself on the distributor cap.
I know for a fact it's getting fuel. Just as to why it's not sparking is confusing me.

Karhoot
12-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Actually got the prick to catch lol. Firing order ended up being messed up. It was 1-3-4-2, 1 starting at the timing belt, 4 at the distributor.

NOW. When it did catch, it didn't say running.
Like immediately after it caught, it shut back off. Any suggestions?

1989accordaz
12-27-2013, 12:40 PM
What did you set your spark plugs gap to? Make sure all your wires are well connected to the cap and the sparkplugs.

Karhoot
12-27-2013, 01:53 PM
They're at manuf. specs.
SO, we actually got it running. And it starts after one crank lol :D:D:D
Another issue ofcourse..
It's either high ass idle, or idle perfect until I hit the gas, then it sputters to it's death.
Also, we tried moving it. It has NO power whatsoever.
Possible timing?
Fuel, and spark are no longer the culprits.
I'm leaning towards maybe a timing issue now..
Or maybe carb?

thomson85
01-11-2014, 06:02 PM
If it ran fine before you started changing parts, then the most logical answer is that it is a result from what you did. I would reconfirm that wires. Just because it is numbered on the distributor cap doesn't mean it is the right order. I have seen aftermarket caps that did not have the right order casted on the cap. They work, but you have to run it in the right order. Also you say the plugs are set to to manufacture specs. However, you do not list what you are suggesting are manufacture specs. The specs would in fact be 0.044" and I hope you used NGK or Champion (The champions aren't as good) for your plugs. Any other and you will run into issues. I hope you didn't buy "pre-gaped" plugs assuming they are actually gaped correctly. You always need to verify spark plug gap yourself.

* NGK Plugs
* 0.044" Gap
* Verify wires are in right order.

Dr_Snooz
01-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Champion plugs??