PDA

View Full Version : air ride..

Neuspeed007
11-18-2002, 10:26 PM
alright i ran into this guy at the gas station today, he had a CRX with some nice air ride. i told him that i needed some suspension and maybe i would look into some air ride, he said hed be willing to hook me up, cause hes got his own shop in nampa. So what im trying to ask here is...... Is Air ride a good idea?????? for my 3g? Anybody got it? andybody know anyone wiht it?
ive got friends here in boise with it, but thy drive hella nice cars, not my 3g. im just lookin for a similar opinion here....

much thx guys-
nick-

socal3rdgen
11-18-2002, 10:28 PM
air ride is not good if you want performance.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-18-2002, 11:08 PM
pearldrop (aka chris) is THE man to talk to in regards to air ride.
I do recall that he said it's not good for performance and I agree with that.

accord19882002
11-19-2002, 06:20 AM
That's totally correct, air ride sucks for performance. More than anything it's just for looks. In most cases the ride will be pretty bouncy and rough. The main benefits are the fact that you can drive around with your car slammed to the ground, but raise it if you need to go over a speed bump or something. Another thing to take into consideration is the weather where you live. If you have cold winters air cylinders are a bad idea. And I assume you would be talking about cylinders and not bags. If so, the cylinders will lock up in cold weather and not function properly. Also, the tank will have to be removed several times throughout the winter to empty out the condensation buildup. Just some things to take into consideration, but it's your car man, it's up to you.

tk89acc
11-19-2002, 06:34 AM
As far as I know you wont have to remove the tank to remove condensation if you get a water seperator. You just release the water as it builds in the trap.

pearldrop
11-19-2002, 08:01 AM
I don't think it is a rough ride but the setup I have is not for performance. It is really pretty smooth. A friend of mine has an OZ edition Mitsubishi Lancer on cylinders and he says that he thinks it handles better now than it did when it was lowered on Eibachs. He also has a 400 hp RX-7 that he autocrosses so he should know the difference.
http://www.sittinpretti.com/RX7001.jpg

When I buy airbags for my Accord they will be airsleeves, which are actually bags with Tokico struts and not cylinders. They will be released this month for the 90-97 Accords but the design is very simple and you may be able to adapt them to 3rd gens.
But overall, airbags are not for racers. They aren't a bad ride, but I wouldn't call it good either.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by pearldrop

When I buy airbags for my Accord they will be airsleeves, which are actually bags with Tokico struts and not cylinders. They will be released this month for the 90-97 Accords but the design is very simple and you may be able to adapt them to 3rd gens.

Chris, 4th gen struts are taller (at least in the front) than 3rd gen struts. You may be able to effectively make than the same height as the 3rd gen strut units in the front buy removeing the brake hangers of the strut body. That way they'd be able to sink down into the pinch fork a extra inch. Where the strut body naturally gets fatter down thier will serve as a new "stop" preventing the strut from sinking into the pinch fork more than a inch anyways.

I do not know if the rear units are taller, it they are that presents more of a issue because of how the rear suspension is designed.

pearldrop
11-19-2002, 12:31 PM
I actually meant to suggest that they could be transferred over to Tokicos for the 3rd gen. The design allows for that and it is only a matter of time before they make them for 3rd gens.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-19-2002, 03:08 PM
Ok chris, I gottcha:smokin:

Neuspeed007
11-19-2002, 05:06 PM
cool, i got some pics... i stumbeled apon them..
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=18759
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=18760

pearldrop
11-19-2002, 08:14 PM
I've been meaning to post that pic but I keep forgetting.

whiteboy
11-21-2002, 11:59 AM
Yea
def throw some cylinders on there if u got the chance, i got 3 cylinders, im slowly saving up for the rest and buying part by part, buy the whol ekit at once n save some cash. Its not supposed to be the BEST ride, but if you drop ur car ur gonna loose quality unless you replace everything and correct ur camber which will cost jsut as much as air lol. It all depends whether ur goin for style or autocross, id bank on style anyday. . .

Jordan

jigga225
11-21-2002, 04:19 PM
man where is tk at/
he had a link to a video of him hittin a couple of moves wit his air ride

tK'sGuRl
11-21-2002, 08:24 PM
I can see if i can find the vids. If my friend gets off his ass I should be able to get some more vids.:D

Neuspeed007
11-21-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by whiteboy
Yea
def throw some cylinders on there if u got the chance, i got 3 cylinders, im slowly saving up for the rest and buying part by part, buy the whol ekit at once n save some cash. Its not supposed to be the BEST ride, but if you drop ur car ur gonna loose quality unless you replace everything and correct ur camber which will cost jsut as much as air lol. It all depends whether ur goin for style or autocross, id bank on style anyday. . .

Jordan

:werd: im just lookin for style, im getting my new acura soon, thatll be my performance ride..

tk'sgurl.........cool:cool: