PDA

View Full Version : difference between the honda accord dx and lx?

RayRin
12-26-2013, 08:30 PM
what's the difference between the honda accord dx and lx?

HLW
12-27-2013, 08:44 PM
The main difference between the DX and the LX, the LX has power door locks, windows and side-view mirrors where the DX does not. The LX has a folding rear seat, the DX does not. The DX has a lever heater control where the LX has a button heater control. The LX has a lighted vanity mirror on the passenger sun visor.
Hope I didn't miss anything there.

charliekuney
12-27-2013, 09:16 PM
...to continue from @HLW: DX has black bumpers and door handles, LX has body-colored. LX has higher quality interior materials. LX only came in a sedan, no LX coupe or hatch. LX has cruise control and air conditioning standard and a power antenna (I think). DX did not come standard with the passenger side mirror or rear speakers. DX came standard without a console in front of the shifter. No arm rest in the rear seat. No lumbar support for driver's seat. They have the same carbureted A20A engine. There might be a few small things I missed...

Then, take an LX and add fuel-injection and a sunroof (sedan only) and you have an LX-i!

Dr_Snooz
12-28-2013, 09:20 PM
What about sway bars and rotor sizes?

MessyHonda
12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
on the carb accords they all had the same brakes and rear drums

charliekuney
12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
What about sway bars and rotor sizes?

Shit, you forget about those things over time!

Dr_Snooz
12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Uh-oh. I caught Charlie slipping. ;)

statlerjames
01-24-2014, 02:15 AM
Lx is a sedan and Dx is a hatchback

2oodoor
01-24-2014, 03:34 AM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/frequently-asked-questions/9293-body-dimensions-weights.htmlQUOTE=statlerjames;1143393]Lx

LX is a sedan and Dx is a hatchback

DX can be a sedan too, those are usually the ones with black bumpers and rt side mirror delete. Roll crank windows too.
As for hatchbacks , I never saw a LX, just DX and LXi.
i do think Ive seen three trim levels in coupes DX,LXi and Sei

charliekuney
01-24-2014, 06:08 PM
sedan: DX, LX, LX-i, SE-i
coupe: DX, LX-i, SE-i
hatch: DX, LX-i

LX's were sedan-only, and there were no SE-i hatches.

;)

TNTumbler
01-29-2014, 04:34 PM
I have owned several 86 - 89 Honda Accords over the years. I have noticed on the LX Sedans I have owned that the "Cassette Holder" section of the front console must have been optional. I've owned two '89 LX Sedans in B49-M Laurel Blue Metallic w/ blue interior and the one from Marysville, OH came with the Cassette Holder, and my current Japanese Built LX doesn't. My 1987 LX (American Built w/ tan interior) didn't have it but my 88 (Japanese Built also w/ blue interior) also had it. I know this feature came standard on the LX-i's (1986 White w/ Maroon Interior) and SE-i's (1989 Coupe Maroon w/ Ivory/Brown Interior). I think there might have been one other difference between the LX and DX and that being the LX could be ordered with a 14" Steel Wheel w/ Hubcap as an option. I could be wrong.

(p.s. before anyone goes off about what my 1989 Accord SE-'s exterior color was. Just gonna say, I know what all the information booklets say and such, but the car was bought from Covington Pike Honda as it was a Demonstration Model for their Show Floor and sold to us when they got tired of it. I believe it was specially ordered. You know they say $$ talks!)

charliekuney
01-29-2014, 06:51 PM
^ I believe the cassette holder was optional in the LX; I have seen many without them. Are you sure about the sedans being built in the USA? I was under the assumption that all sedans were build in Japan, all coupes were built in the USA, and hatches were primarily built in Japan with some being built in the USA. 1988-1989 LX might have had the 14" steel wheel with hub caps as a dealer-installed option, but as far as from the factory, I am pretty sure they all had the 13's. All SE-i's had cup holders in places of the cassette holders. As far as you having a maroon SE-i: Yes, the SE-i coupe was also available in Navajo Red and Monterey Green, but I've only seen those from members in Canada and the Navajo coupes had the black interior whilst the Monterey had the tan/black "pepper" interior. Yours could have been special ordered. Do you have any pictures of it?

2oodoor
01-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Sedans built in Japan has J prefix in vin, US were H prefix

TNTumbler
01-30-2014, 09:21 PM
I wish I had digital pictures. The processed photos are with my adopted mom and I have her looking for them so we can get them scanned. I was 18 yrs old (1993) when we purchased the car. When we saw the car my a-mom's first comment about the car "It looks like a glass of fine wine!" We paid $9,499.00 for it w/ only 900 miles on the clock. She totaled it roughly 1.5 yrs later when she hydroplaned. That's how I ended up with a 1986 LX-I in white with maroon interior.

Coupes were only built in the US then exported back to Japan. As far as the hatchback/liftback goes I have a friend who has 3 of them. Two (1986 and a 1988) of them have J as the first digit of the VIN number and the 1 has the H in the VIN (1987 model). The two from Japan are DX models as the American built one is a LX-I.

Dr_Snooz
01-31-2014, 08:40 PM
The first VIN digit in a Japanese built car will be "J". The first digit for an American built car will be "1". "H" is the second digit and indicates that the car is a Honda.

TNTumbler
02-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Went back and looked and I somehow missed that li'l 1! LoL They are kinda hard to see! I had to look at the plates. LoL

gyates93
03-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I think that LX and DX models must be different between the US and Canada. My LX does not have a folding rear seat, no power options, it has 13 inch wheels, no AC. The only things it has are cruise control, auto trans, power steering, and rear speakers. It has the heater controls that slide, and does not have body coloured bumpers.

charliekuney
03-02-2014, 10:03 PM
^

America: DX, LX, LX-i
Canada: LX, EX, EX-i

Your LX would be a DX in the USA.

dieselgus
03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
My other, non daily driving DX is carbed, auto, power windows/locks/mirrors, air cruise tilt, folding back seat, body coloured bumpers sedan.

Daily driver is EXi, only difference from the DX to it is the addition of sunroof and fuel injection. Rotor and tire size is different, the DX having 13" and the EXi having 14".

DX had the stock armrest console, which migrated to the EXi.

Methinks different options/trim levels between US and Canada.

charliekuney
03-05-2014, 06:55 PM
^ Your information says you have a 1989 DX and a 1989 LX-i, not EX-i. In the USA, DX's have most manual options like windows, mirrors, door locks. LX adds power windows, mirrors, door locks, and a few other ammentaties, but is still carbureted like the DX. LX-i adds power sunroof and fuel-injected to the LX. All the same is true for Canada except instead of their trim levels being DX, LX and LX-i they have LX, EX and EX-i.

Canada | USA
LX | DX
EX | LX
EX-i | LX-i

edit: diesel gus, where are you? Either you're in Canada or the US, but you can't have an EX-i if you're in the States and no DX's had power options...

dieselgus
03-10-2014, 11:38 AM
I am in Vancouver (well, New Westminster to be precise). First car was a Manitoba car, current is a BC car. And yup, just realized that it does indeed say LX-i. Arse end says EX-i. Believe I should change that. The red carbed one sitting at home I thought was a DX, but is probably an LX (I haven't honestly looked at the badge in a couple years). Did follow an identically coloured 3G out to work this morning, with an LX-i badge on it. Thing about being so close to the border here is there are a lot of American cars that float up this way from the Bellingham and surrounding areas. Pre 1989 vehicles they aren't too adamant about things like daytime running lights or different bumpers for crash ratings so it is an easy out of province VI and away you go.

Don't think I have ever seen one of these cars with manual windows in my travels.

charliekuney
03-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Thing about being so close to the border here is there are a lot of American cars that float up this way from the Bellingham and surrounding areas.

This I completely forgot about.