PDA

View Full Version : vibration issue

ADSA20
12-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Hi guys, hoping someone here can help me... I've got a 87 si sedan ( stock a20 4 speed auto) My problem is coming from some pretty serious vibration which occurs when the car is in gear with the brake applied ( doesn't do it at all in neutral or park) So I figured it's the engine mounts, I've replaced both the front and rear mounts... no change. I did have the timing belt done and the timing adjusted ( it was way advanced) also had vacuum issues, one of those little ends on the distributor the hoses plug onto was snapped off and I ended up replacing the whole thing with another from the wrecker on the advice of a mechanic as he had a feeling it was shot ( hence the high idle speed)

So ok, I'm wondering... Is there more than 2 engine mounts? Have I missed one? Or have I ended up with another dodgy distributor and more vacuum issues?... Could that cause the vibration? Or perhaps I need to get the engine balanced? Maybe the timing still a little out? ( I have a feeling it's still a tiny bit advanced) but surely that wouldn't cause such shaking? It's driving me mad!! I'm hoping someone here has some good advice or similar experience with this.

Already up for cv replacement and power steer rack rebuild in the new year so I'm hoping it's nothing major.

Thanks

charliekuney
12-28-2013, 12:27 AM
It's an automatic old Honda. Every one I've driven does that. Have you looked at all of the suspension bushings? When the car is in park and stopped, there is still a load on the engine but since the car isn't moving you can't feel the imperfections in the road that would usually cover up the vibration.

niles
12-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Mine does that too, but runs like a champ otherwise. Do you get a lot of shaking in your steering column? When was the last time you changed your transmission fluid?

Oldblueaccord
12-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Mine does that too, but runs like a champ otherwise. Do you get a lot of shaking in your steering column? When was the last time you changed your transmission fluid?

Try a little higher idle warm. If its real low in drive the car will shake.

Dr_Snooz
12-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Check the motor mounts too. But yeah, par for the course on these older cars. As long as it's not shaking the dashboard or anything, it's good.

ADSA20
12-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Check the motor mounts too. But yeah, par for the course on these older cars. As long as it's not shaking the dashboard or anything, it's good.

I've had the rear and front mounts done as that was my first thought. It is shaking the dash at times, that's why it's annoying me. Its idleing at about 800-900 so I don't really want to go any higher especially as it has such low km's. I'm thinking I still have a vacuum issue, looking into somewhere/someone who does balancing, tuning etc. It's such a nice car I don't mind that expense if it will sort it.

profquad
03-22-2017, 09:35 AM
any resolution? having a similar problem