PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord clunks when depressing clutch and letting off the gas

Tylerzane
12-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone

First Id like to state that I did search for honda clunking. If the car is not under load it does not clunk.
It mainly happens when I shift from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3. It also happens if I am in a low gear and blip the throttle
then quickly let off the gas. I was thinking motor mounts, tranny, clutch or front drive axles. Any and all ideas would be welcome.
Also what steps should I take to diagnose this problem.

Thanks Sean

lostforawhile
12-31-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone

First Id like to state that I did search for honda clunking. If the car is not under load it does not clunk.
It mainly happens when I shift from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3. It also happens if I am in a low gear and blip the throttle
then quickly let off the gas. I was thinking motor mounts, tranny, clutch or front drive axles. Any and all ideas would be welcome.
Also what steps should I take to diagnose this problem.

Thanks Sean

most likely shot out motor mounts

charliekuney
01-01-2014, 02:27 AM
Yeah, motor mounts sounds right. It took me five years of driving with bad motor mounts to realize the effect they made...

2oodoor
01-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Yeah, motor mounts sounds right. It took me five years of driving with bad motor mounts to realize the effect they made...

Just curious, would you agree poor sloppy m mounts affect mpg? I think they do, particularly considering hyper mileing driving tecniques.

charliekuney
01-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Absolutely. The sheer inertia of the engine ever going the opposite direction of the car would cause MPG's to decline. This thread is making me have nightmares of Camry's and Sienna's nosediving when braking.

lostforawhile
01-02-2014, 08:50 PM
what country are you in, I think I still have a factory front mount, the taller one for the FI cars, barely used, I went to the poly front mount.