PDA

View Full Version : Starting the car....is it the Igniter

Champ87AccordLX
11-19-2002, 11:26 AM
Once for the past few weeks, my car has not been cranking up. I hear the starter turning but the car never starts puttering. When this happens I usually try bout every 2 min, sometimes holding the starter on for bout 10 sec. When I do get a putter, I gradually apply gas until I can get something going, but that's usually after waiting a while(and hitting the gas once or twice). What could this be?? I'm so disappointed because I feel the reliability of my car is diminishing b/c of this little (I hope, not big) problem.

Neuspeed87lx
11-19-2002, 11:35 AM
my car had that problem ...the carb was flooded

Champ87AccordLX
11-19-2002, 12:09 PM
Another thing....I have noticed that it cranks easier, somewhat normally, when the car is still warm.

(to the guy who responded)

How did you solve the problem????

shepherd79
11-19-2002, 12:34 PM
ok, i don't understand the problem, even after reading 5 times. you may want to be more specific.
if the car turns slow when it is cold and faster when it is warmer than your trans or engine oil may be too thick. make sure you have right oil in both.
if car turns but it has problems with igniting fuel. than i would say it is your distributer igniter. i had the same problem. it is easier to replace the hole distributer than take it apart and replacing the igniter. you may want to consider the Toyo distributer, it has igniter outside the distributor.

cruznz
11-19-2002, 03:14 PM
use a test plug connected to coil high tension lead to check for spark before condeming distributor

Neuspeed87lx
11-19-2002, 08:01 PM
i just noticed you said its been happining for the past few weeks...if you had the same problem i had...the car wouldnt eve start