PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord 5sp Clunking Noise

DemonicAngel
01-02-2014, 01:06 AM
Hi guys, my symptoms are different from Tylerzane's so I made a different thread.
Here is the issue that I have:

My car makes a clunking noise when it is in gear (it does not matter which gear it is in) and I let go of the gas pedal.
In other words, it does not clunk when I give it gas...but as soon as I stop giving it gas, it clunks very loudly.
The sound is coming from the front of the car somewhere but am unable to locate where.
However, the clunking sound disappears as soon as I put it into neutral.
Also, if my car isn't moving and is in neutral, revving it will not make a clunking sound.

To sum it up:
- Only clunks when in gear and when I let go of the gas pedal, stops clunking when I give it gas again
- Doesn't happen under load

Do you guys have any idea? And how would I go about diagnosing this issue?
I am not the most technical guy when it comes to cars (although I did do a carb -> EFI conversion)
But even that was a tough job and I had no idea what I was doing, luckily I completed it somehow.

I've never replaced a clutch or transmission before so I am completely clueless.
It sucks cause as soon as I think I've resolved all the issues with this car, another one pops up shortly after.
I know that's expected with such old cars but I just wish it worked longer than a few weeks at a time before replacing another part.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

vteckiller
01-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Its motor mounts. Check the rear where it bolts to the trans. Basically the dog bone mount. There either loose. Or the mounts are broken. When you accelerate you don't notice it but when you release if you release fast its worse then try to do it slow?

Dr_Snooz
01-04-2014, 08:30 AM
It sucks cause as soon as I think I've resolved all the issues with this car, another one pops up shortly after.
I know that's expected with such old cars but I just wish it worked longer than a few weeks at a time before replacing another part.

If a clunk is the worst of your issues, you're doing pretty well. Even new cars have issues like that. Some new cars have issues like that and no one ever figures out why. The owner just learns to live with it. Be happy that your car is easy to diagnose and cheap to fix.

Oldblueaccord
01-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Don't forget also to give the front suspension a good look over. ALl the motor power goes thru the front wheels.